UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2018, 4:58 pm   #1
Paul Mathew
Pentode

Default BUSH EBS 23 advice needed

http://mmrmedia.xs4all.nl/bbr/bushradio/index.html

Just confused on the wiring of the main double smoothing cap can. The connection from the half wave rectifier cathode (pin 7) goes to the one capacitor, the second pin is connected to a 5kOhm resistor , with wires disappearing into the depths of the chassis. Measuring each cap pin to chassis, gives a reading of 70mF, and across the two pins, the reading is 35mF. These appear to be connected in series? I'm wanting to replace this can with two individual electrolytics, but am not sure of the configuration. Would the can of the original caps be common, and connected to the chassis? I can only read 0-50 mF on the can, but I assume it says 50-0-50mF?
Very confused. Any advice most welcome!
Thanks.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 5:14 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: BUSH EBS 23 advice needed

The can very often is negative.If this is like the DAC10 ,then there will be a circuit top right of the forum.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 6:47 pm   #3
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Hi Paul,
PM sent.

Regards
Trevor.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 7:54 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mathew View Post
Would the can of the original caps be common, and connected to the chassis? I can only read 0-50 mF on the can, but I assume it says 50-0-50mF?
Yes, the case is the common -ve.
By the way one of the terminals is often marked red, this just indicates the outer of the two concentric capacitors, and typically is the one that is fed from the rectifier.
Closed Thread