UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2012, 2:47 pm   #1
elanman99
Hexode

Default How does 'New Posts' work?

I have read the forum rules, read the FAQs etc but still confused why some posts don't appear. I must compliment the organisers of the forum for the wealth of help pages and instructions on using the forum so it must be something I'm doing wrong.

Last night I posted a reply to an existing topic (A glimpse into the future 1928) and I see it was timed at 10:38.

When logged in if I look at 'new posts' I can see posts before and after that time but not my 10:38 one. Does anyone know what is happening here?

Another question. What is the best page on the site to have a desktop shortcut to? Ideally I would like to go straight to a page showing the latests postings but using 'New Posts' as the shortcut returns a 'Sorry no Matches' response. Its not a big deal but I would like a tidier method.

Ian P

PS What is the significant difference between 'New Posts' and 'Todays Posts'. Are todays posts limited only to a 24 hour wndow?

Last edited by elanman99; 7th Feb 2012 at 2:51 pm. Reason: Memory error
Old 7th Feb 2012, 3:01 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: How does 'New Posts' work?

Your own posts won't appear in "New Posts". It's assumed that you know what you posted.

"Today's Posts" can be accessed even if you're not logged in. "New Posts" can only be acessed if you're logged in, as the forum needs to know who you are in order to know which posts are new to you.

Best place to set a shortcut to is the login page. That is of course just my opinion.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/login.php

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Feb 2012, 3:21 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanman99 View Post
Ideally I would like to go straight to a page showing the latests postings but using 'New Posts' as the shortcut returns a 'Sorry no Matches' response.
What you need is a link to https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?do=getnew. A successful search for new posts replaces this with a one-off link for the specific posts found. If there are no new posts, the link will remain unchanged and you can save it as your shortcut page if you wish.
Old 7th Feb 2012, 5:36 pm   #4
elanman99
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Your own posts won't appear in "New Posts". It's assumed that you know what you posted.

"Today's Posts" can be accessed even if you're not logged in. "New Posts" can only be acessed if you're logged in, as the forum needs to know who you are in order to know which posts are new to you.

Best place to set a shortcut to is the login page. That is of course just my opinion.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/login.php
I didn't deliberately look for it, its just that I expected it would be visible in the new posts when I browsed that this morning. Thanks for explaining that I cannot see my own post (by that method).

As regards the shortcut, I stay permanently logged in and when I first go the site I like to see the latest posts first, if you know what I mean!

Ian P
Closed Thread