UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2020, 9:18 pm   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Grundig 2×4 super - Tape loading mechanism

Just a quick query at this point.

The tape loading mechanism doesn't work on this machine. I have the lid off and am having a good look inside.
On the right there are two white cogs next to each other, one of which clearly winds the tape tray up and down. The one next to it is, i expect, in contact with something unseen underneath.
Unlike the above mentioned right, the left side of the loader only has one white cog which is in contact with the lowering mechanism. There doesn't seem to be one connected to it's left. Is this normal for this machine? Thanks.
Old 13th Mar 2020, 10:09 pm   #2
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig 2×4 super - Tape loading mechanism

Do you have a picture? i can check it on my Grundig 2x4s if so unless someone can answer this without taking to lid off.
Old 13th Mar 2020, 10:30 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Is this one of those machines that has bulbs and light sensors to detect the tape position? If so the fault may be caused by a blown bulb. Memory of 2x4s is hazy I'm afraid.

Alan
Old 13th Mar 2020, 10:53 pm   #4
Eidolon
Hexode

No idea. I'm not clued up on how it works. No visible fault or breakage, tape loader just doesn't work. Trying to figure out why not. The cogs thing seemed the most obvious place to start
Old 12th Apr 2020, 11:45 am   #5
Eidolon
Hexode

After having a good look at it again, I'm pretty sure it's not a broken/missing cog. The single cog on the left is noticeably wider than the two on the right. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be like this. What has become obvious is the complete and utter lack of any kind of noise or movement from within the machine, whcih leads me to conclude that it's some kind of power issue. ONe of the main buttons, the 'tape' one I think, can have a flashing red light above it if I press it, but other than that, there's ablsolutley no sign of power being present in the machine. If it was just a jammed loading mechanism, surely it would make some kind of noise while it still tried to do something with it?
Old 13th Apr 2020, 5:08 pm   #6
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

I believe V2000, like Betamax, uses metal sensors to detect the end of the tape. At least my V2000 tapes have an aluminium strip at the beginning and the end. Unfortunately I don't have any V2000 VCRs so I don't know for sure.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 11:47 am   #7
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
After having a good look at it again, I'm pretty sure it's not a broken/missing cog. The single cog on the left is noticeably wider than the two on the right. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be like this. What has become obvious is the complete and utter lack of any kind of noise or movement from within the machine, whcih leads me to conclude that it's some kind of power issue. ONe of the main buttons, the 'tape' one I think, can have a flashing red light above it if I press it, but other than that, there's ablsolutley no sign of power being present in the machine. If it was just a jammed loading mechanism, surely it would make some kind of noise while it still tried to do something with it?
These may be of help to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do6AwRCOzv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjSgiBRxic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zwKvJpVf8