UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2012, 8:57 pm   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default (quite) hazardous BC tape find, see why...!

Now here's a most amazing (and therefore, hazardous) find for you Reel2Reel collectors.

Last week I received a number of audiophile Barclay Crocker (BC) tapes including the Mozart Serenades as seen on the top of the photo. The tape had a problem (lubricant loss) and wouldn't play right (it started to hiss on a tape guide roller at the end of Side 2 and produce audible distorsion).

Today I received another batch of BC tapes including another specimen of the Mozart tape as pictured.

Now guess what? Both of these Mozart tapes happen to have been duplicated not only THE VERY SAME DAY (that would be too easy), but also on the first two duplicating machines, so NEXT TO EACH OTHER!

Now talk about this: these two tapes, duplicated at the same time, were obviously sold to two different customers in the United States back in 1978. Several years later, these customers got rid of them, so the tapes moved to two different collections. Finally, both tapes show up on eBay within TWO WEEKS. They are sold by two different people who don't know each other.

I bid on the first, won it, and received it last week. I bid by mistake on the second, won it at a low price, and received it today.

I really find this amazing: two items manufactured the same day happen to join the same collection almost 35 years later after having passed by two totally different paths.

Of course, the second tape played great today. I tried the first, didn't notice the troubles I had last week, but that's another story.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0988.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	72996  
Old 19th Nov 2012, 9:49 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: (quite) hazardous BC tape find, see why...!

That is amazing, David. It's not uncommmon to find secondhand LPs all turning up at roughly the same time, presumably when the original purchasers downsize or pass away. But to get two consecutive recordings is amazing.

Nice choice of programme too! K.388 was later rearranged as the string quintet K.406 I think. Hope they released K.361 as well. What were the other tapes of?

Do you know what tape stock was used for these?

Nick.
Old 19th Nov 2012, 10:36 pm   #3
david winter
Hexode

No, unfortunately I have no information regarding tape stock. I noticed various colours ranging from usual dark brown to almost black.

Other tapes included Mozart duos and quatuors, a Bach recital on harpsichord including the Italian Concerto (which I have in various editions but only on piano). Also got the "Royal Fireworks", Mozart piano Concerto #22 with Alfred Brendel, Bach cello concertos with Tortelier, Mozart Flute Concertos, Mozart Divertimento, etc.

The lady had also two or three twin packs of the Mozart "Salzburg" Symphonies, but I already have them (I'm missing the first two sets).

Just in case you have something for sale/trade, I'm attaching my have list (titles in bold, be sure to zoom enough!).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BC perso.pdf (88.5 KB, 283 views)
Old 20th Nov 2012, 1:13 am   #4
Amraduk
Hexode

Hello David,

Why was this find hazardous?

Regards,

Dave.
Old 20th Nov 2012, 11:20 am   #5
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amraduk View Post
Hello David,

Why was this find hazardous?

Regards,

Dave.
In French "hasard" ("hazard" in English") means "chance" rather than "danger" so I suspect David meant "fortuitous" rather than "dangerous".
Old 20th Nov 2012, 11:44 am   #6
raditechman
Heptode

Or maybe "haphazard"
Old 20th Nov 2012, 2:45 pm   #7
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
Or maybe "haphazard"
Haphazard means random, not accidental.
Closed Thread