UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2011, 11:16 am   #21
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hoover 475.

Yes I thought of trying a Senior belt but I doubt it would fit; the motor pulleys and beaters on these old vertical-motor machines are some 7" apart.

Blackpool has numerous vacuum cleaner shops, some long established, which I can go and pester, so I don't think an excursion to Colne will be necessary on this occasion .
Old 16th Jul 2011, 3:38 pm   #22
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

For a 7" gap, I think the Electrolux belts would do the job, my two Sanitaires have about a 6" gap between brush and pulley, but the original belts are a little too slack for the power of the motor, and they burn out pretty quickly so I tend to stick to Hoover Senior belts, so I'm sure they would do the job...
Old 16th Jul 2011, 6:45 pm   #23
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

An ordinary Senior (e.g. 652) belt would be too short. I bought some belts for the prewar uprights from an old shop, which were OK when I fitted the first one to my 825, but 20 years later they are stretched and cracking and no use at all, and I can't even take useful measurements from them. If you find an ideal replacement I'd be interested to hear as I now have two cleaners needing this size of belt.

Lucien
Old 16th Jul 2011, 7:19 pm   #24
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Having said that, I just looked inside my 800, which I thought had a well-fitting belt, to find that it has a 652 belt in. That must have been very tight when new.

Lucien
Old 16th Jul 2011, 9:08 pm   #25
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I'll post here to let you know. I will go round to my various local shops and see what I can get over the next few days, but I suspect I might have to experiment with two or three different ones.

Aside, I did ponder over making a belt by splicing together a couple of Junior belts but I doubt it'd last more than a minute in service.
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 11:55 am   #26
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
If you find an ideal replacement I'd be interested to hear as I now have two cleaners needing this size of belt.

Lucien
I've had a stroke of luck in that I've obtained a couple of the actual belts for the 475.

http://www.DIYTOOLS.co.uk do them. They're listed, there and via web searches as "Hoover 160-262" belts. The belts themselves are marked as being for models 160, 262, 430 and 475. Part number RDB15 is on my invoice but I don't know if that's just DIY's stock number. They may or may not suit the 800 series, I don't know.

I feel I should point out the following. Another place, vacuumcleanersparesuk, or something like that, also does them. I went to order from them but a security warning popped up at the payment stage (even though I was sent to an https page) so I abandoned them and went to DIY instead.
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 6:42 pm   #27
spontaflex
Retired Dormant Member

RDB15 is a Qualtex part number and is still shown as a stock item
on their website (Trade Only) so just about any independant Vacuum
repair shop should be able to source them.

Geoff
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 7:18 pm   #28
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Also listed on Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yourspares-B...N%3DB002JP57CA

Regards, Mick.
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 11:27 pm   #29
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

One of the problems nowadays is finding part numbers and matching them with the equipment they're used on. The belts I've just obtained are only listed as being for models 160 and 262; nobody appears to list them as also fitting the 430 and 475. Even the Amazon link only lists RDB15 as being for the 160 and 262. So just when you think a certain part is simply no longer obtainable, you eventually find out otherwise and all because of scanty information.

Staff in some shops I've been in looked at me as though I'm ga-ga when asked if they can track down Hoover 475 belts. Now, if I go in armed with RDB15 they could probably source some for me. However, I ordered from DIYTOOLS and the belts arrived the next day so it's far easier to do that than waste time with "What? eh? you don't want a Dyson?" local shops.
Closed Thread