UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2018, 5:53 pm   #21
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Cossor 464ac - green?

How about a vibrant blue or red? They are not rare and it would look stunning.

A long shot, but has anyone got the 2 missing knobs for mine? It might induce me to restore it.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 8:55 pm   #22
Boater Sam
Banned

Feeling guilty about threatening this set with destruction, today I set about it and got it back into good order.

Cleaned up the case is very good but needs buffing up. It will stay brown, it would be a shame to paint an undamaged one. The celluloid window is useless so I made a new one, from a shampoo bottle. The damaged back needed a piece letting in to replace the lost corner.

The chassis needed the previous horrible repairs, er, actually mistakes, correcting. A few resistors and caps. All the remaining paper caps were useless and 2 of the new Radiospairs replacements cracked and leaking.
Fit a fresh 6V6G, make a new pointer and restring it onto the drum with a new tension spring. A dial light bulb. the re-glued glass and some new bits of wire completed the now working set. The output transformer is a smaller replacement but works fine. The small speaker suffers if the wick is turned up, a 6V6G has a good bit of power.

It works very well.
The knobs confused me, the tuning outer knob was on the right spindle but with the volume knob on the wave change. So I need a wave change knob, the rectangular one with a line down, it to finish it off.

I had the console version of this chassis as a kid, from a jumble sale for probably a shilling, loved it then with its huge speaker to do the output justice.
Old 1st May 2018, 9:32 am   #23
mark_in_manc
Octode

If that knob doesn't turn up, it might be possible to make one out of the brass ferrule out of some other knob, and file the rest out of a small lump of Tufnol. If you'd like such a lump, let me know!
Old 1st May 2018, 10:28 am   #24
Boater Sam
Banned

Good thought Mark, set my mind going.
Had thought of casting one but the file idea reminds me that I have some large instrument knobs that should have enough meat in them to file one down to match.It will take a while!
Found the set unstable intermittently, it was the metallising on the OM6 so it got the wire wrap and solder to #1 pin treatment, better now.
Gave it a full realignment, made a difference. Found my sig gen is massively out of calibration on one range so that's another distraction that needs sorting.
Closed Thread