UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2011, 5:56 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Oddest mains colour coding yet?

When I looked inside the plug attached to a late 50s Stellaphone (Philips) tape recorder I found at a car boot sale, I was confronted with the attached colour coding...

Red/white for live, yellow/white for neutral and white for earth

What a strange one! I've never seen this extraordinary code used before- has anyone else? IGoodness knows how the average member of the public would have guessed it.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2307.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	56129  
Old 12th Sep 2011, 6:37 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Oddest mains colour coding yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Goodness knows how the average member of the public would have guessed it.
Have you confirmed that the correct guess was made when this plug was wired?
Old 13th Sep 2011, 12:14 am   #3
Jonster
Heptode

Nice routing of the earth wire! At least they used a 3A fuse rather than a 13A one!
Old 13th Sep 2011, 8:12 am   #4
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I wonder whether that flex is non-original and made for a special application other than as a mains flex?
When the recorder was made, Dutch wiring colours were:
Live - green
Neutral - red
Earth - grey
If the yellow stripe were a discoloured green, and live and neutral were reversed, and the earth had a faint grey stripe that has faded...
Lucien
Old 13th Sep 2011, 2:18 pm   #5
broadgage
Nonode

Does the flex contain a blue/white core that has been cut short and not used ?
If so the flex may be intended not for mains supplies but for connecting current transformers for metering purposes.
A common colour code for 3 phase current transformers is
red/white, yellow/white, and blue/white for the three phases, and plain white for common.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 7:41 pm   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks for all the replies and some interesting and very valid points raised.

The plug had the inevitable 13 amp fuse of course, I changed it to a 3a just prior to the photo.

Good theories re the colour coding. The flex is genuine 3-core, original to the equipment and the earth is pure white, as proved by looking inside the machine. I think this tape recorder was made in Holland (at least one valve is stamped 'Mullard Holland') although this does make it at odds with Lucien's dutch colour coding of the era.

I'm surprised that even allowing for the (possibly) less stringent legislation of the time, that it would be legal to market equipment with non-standard wiring like this. Maybe the dealer fitted the plug for the customer. But then again a lazy radio dealer may be guessing himself!

Steve
Old 13th Sep 2011, 8:21 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

Looking at my parents' 1960's issues of Which? Magazine, incorrect (non UK) colour coding of mains flex appeared commonplace on imported equipment until BEAB approval was adopted by the major distributors. Certainly stuff was getting black marks from Which? as late as 1967 for unconventional colours.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 7:59 am   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

I have a KB GR10 which belonged to my parents and was bought in 1952 which has its mains lead colours red, white and blue (very patriotic). I can't remember which colour is live etc but I'm sure the lead is original. It took me a little time to work out which was which when I restored it to working order 5 years ago.

Keith
Closed Thread