UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2011, 1:09 pm   #1
Focus Diode
Octode

Default LOBLITE No.313F 3-way plug adaptor

I briefly mentioned this interesting adaptor in an earlier thread. I purchased it brand new and still boxed about 20 years ago.

Basically it's a one to two plug adaptor, but on looking inside there's another surprise- the adaptor itself can be wired up when the thin membrane is broken away!

I've not known this idea used since as far as square pin 13A plugs and sockets are concerned.

I think it's a brilliant design with much surprise it didn't catch on. The twin sockets at the top are shuttered and there's even space for a spare fuse!

The only negative feature is the screw terminals which could've been better, quite fiddly wiring in a 3-core flex as a result.

I have no idea when this was manufactured.

Anyone else seen (or have one) or have memories of them?

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loblite plug top.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	56095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loblite plug back.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	56096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loblite plug interior.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	56097  
Old 11th Sep 2011, 1:45 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: LOBLITE No.313F 3-way plug adaptor

Hi,
I a similar adapter, made by Loblite, in my collection but this has one 13Amp and one 5 Amp outlet with 13 amp pins. Admittedly I haven't looked in to it far enough to see if this can be used as a plug in its own right, as it were, but I might have to now.

I have seen a Clix plug which is similar to Brains Loblite one, this allows the connection of one hard wired appliance and a second appliance by the additional socket fitted on the front, in a similar fashion to some SCART "breakout" adapters.

There is also the Dorman Smith one which is shown in post #28 here

I have some Wylex plugs too which allow one wired and one plugged appliance to be connected.

Regards

Andrew
Old 11th Sep 2011, 3:05 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I have just taken a look at my Loblite adapter no.513F and, although there are holes in the casing for cord grip screws (shown in the picture) it doesn't appear that this can be used as a plug in its own right, as Brian's can.
Looking closely at the internal PCB there are holes for terminal screws but none have ever been fitted, in my adapter at least.

Looking even closer the Live feed for a wired appliance would be from the 5 amp fused side of the adapter, and as it is designed do be plugged in to a 13 Amp outlet this may be the reason that Loblite decided against the hard wired option with this version of the adapter.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2194 (Medium).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	56101   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2197 (Medium).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	56102   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2198 (Medium).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	56103  
Old 11th Sep 2011, 5:33 pm   #4
Focus Diode
Octode

Fascinating stuff Andrew! I guess the use of a PCB and not solid bars like the 313F also made them think twice!

Cheers,
Brian
Closed Thread