UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2011, 4:09 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default What is this for?

I got this from an electrical shop clearing out old stock.I've several ,some are 1000w and rest are 750W.I guess they are from are for some sort of heater. If anyone can use one , I will advertise on 'Offered'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8521.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	54852  
Old 8th Aug 2011, 4:13 pm   #2
teetoon
Heptode

Default Re: What is this for?

Hi Pete, I know my eyes aren't what they were but, can I guess? Is it a type of coiled element or something?
David.
Ah too late! There's a picture now. I was right though, I've got one of those. They are replacement elements for electric fires, the type where it snaked around in a block (if you know what I mean). I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be glad to have one to repair an o/c or stretched and kinked element. They may also fit in the sleeved type of fire element?
David.
ps. I suppose they would suit fan heaters aswell? Not sure.

Last edited by teetoon; 8th Aug 2011 at 4:39 pm. Reason: more info
Old 8th Aug 2011, 4:30 pm   #3
Pete_kaye
Octode

thanks I will advertise them
Old 8th Aug 2011, 7:30 pm   #4
terrybull
Octode

We had an electric fire that used elements similar to this 50 years ago. It came from my Grandmothers when she died so I assume it was probably pre war. It was about two feet or slightly more wide. The coil slipped over a porcelain type rod with threaded connectors either end. The elements clipped into mounts which protruded through a chromed curved reflector and sat horizontally. There were two of them! It had a fold down sort of rack so you could boil a kettle! Probably not the best idea.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 8:20 pm   #5
glowinganode
Octode

I think these are replacement elements for a Pifco "Sunlamp".
As I recall, these had a ceramic former approx 2" diam with a helical "spiral" that the element wrapped around, and a large chromed parabolic reflector.
Rob.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 8:37 pm   #6
Top Cap
Octode

Gee that element has brought back memories. As a young lad I replaced loads of elements in hot plates that would be banned today by Health & Safety yet we sold loads! When you replaced an element it was important to gauge how long it had to be. Then with two fingers gripping an end in each hand, slowly pulled the element but just a little! Then retry for length and continue until the element fitted the ceramic plate correctly. That way you achieved an even glow over the whole length of the element, doing it any other way gave localised hot spots. I don't know why but I just loved doing them. The same technique was used when refitting the element into infra red type silica sleeves. I used to clean these by threading thick string through them. You could wash them but you had to make sure the inside was totally dry before threading and subsequent switch on.
Old 8th Aug 2011, 9:28 pm   #7
matthewhouse
Octode

As it says on the box these are infra red elements that slide into a quartz tube, the straight bits of wire are then cut short and crimped back into the end caps, or wrapped around a terminal post etc.

We used to have a few of these elements back in the shop, but they were of little use as the quartz tube often needed replacement at the same time. This was never good news as over 60% of the replacements we ordered would be smashed in the post!
Old 8th Aug 2011, 9:57 pm   #8
glowinganode
Octode

Sorry, not a Sun Lamp, they had a UV bulb.
See attached pic of Pifco I-R Lamp.
Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pifco.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	54878  
Old 9th Aug 2011, 11:49 am   #9
broadgage
Nonode

I think that these may be replacement elements for heaters that use a coil of resistance wire inside a tube of heat proof translucent silica.
Sometimes the whole silica tube was replaced, but it was clearly more economical to to reuse the expensive silica tube and only replace the nichrome wire spiral when this failed.

The silica tube was normally straight, but some designs used a circular one surrounding a lamp, so as to give heat and light.
Popular in bathrooms.

These elements could be used for other purposes, including as replacements for failed wire spirals in ceramic blocks, popular for older wall mounted heaters.

Many years ago, DIY magazine published an article on using an element like the one pictured, placed in a groove between pieces of asbestos.
This gave a linear heat source by means of which perspex or similar could be heated and bent along the heated line.
Old 10th Aug 2011, 6:17 pm   #10
Pete_kaye
Octode

Well that created some discussion .I have 7 in all so they are offered for sale but I don't know if anyone is actually going to use one ,judging by the comments! Cheers.
Closed Thread