UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2011, 9:36 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default KB Nine Transistor KR017

Hello
Has any body got any information on a KB Nine Transistor KR017
AM FM radio. I have just got one and I cant find any information on the internet.
I am just after general information like year and circuit if posible.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqFHJCUE63(+t4!hBO091zorL!~~60_12.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	59829  
Old 15th Dec 2011, 8:57 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: KB Nine Transistor KR017

Hi
I have a photo of the inside now in case this helps to date it. I would suggest about 1965?
It was made in Okinawa.
Any other information please, would be a great help.
It is all working but I would not say the sound quality is up to much little disappointing after the Tiny 33
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_KR017_chassis.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	59873  
Old 15th Dec 2011, 10:51 pm   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Mike, 1965 sounds about right. My father got one for his father when his old valve radio died. If I remember correctly the quality was not as good as the old valve one (Philips 206A) and the tuning was very touchy.
I don’t think it had a reduction drive on the tuner.

Malcolm
Old 16th Dec 2011, 12:04 am   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Malcolm
Thanks for the reply, do you reckon I have the only surviving example of this radio
The audio quality is not good, I think this is down to the speaker design which has hardly any corrugations round the rim to allow for depth of movement. You are right the tuning wheel is a direct drive to the TC, but it is 3 inches in diameter so there is adequate control.
The build quality is not that good, there were strands of what looks like contact glue all over.
The best bit is the telescopic aerial which has a ball and socket swivel when fully extended.
The transistors are all Matsushita make.
Maybe this set represents a period in the KB history between suppliers where quality suffered, then picked up again when they started being marketed with the ITT KB brand.
Mike
Old 16th Dec 2011, 12:18 am   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There was also an RGD branded version of this radio, but I can't recall its model number other than that it was RR200-and-something. Maybe KB and RGD were owned by the same parent at that time, I don't know.
Closed Thread