UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2019, 5:11 am   #1
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Sony SLV- E7 VHS eject problem

This machine has been intermittent in ejecting. The motor's plastic worm gear had split and was occasionally slipping on the shaft. I've repaired that and it seems to be holding but the eject function labours at one point as it raises the cassette, which makes me wonder if that was the cause of the broken worm gear. I've lubed some of the slide points but hard to see exactly where it might be struggling. Any suggestions with this mechanism?

Thanks,

Tim

Sorry, model number is SLV EZ7 . Couldnt work out how to change it in title.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 7th Apr 2019 at 5:37 am.
Old 7th Apr 2019, 11:00 am   #2
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Re: Sony SLV- E7 VHS eject problem

Hi Tim

Your VCR have the S mechanism. Check the following parts.

1. Check the motor coupling for cracks( the part which engage the loading motor shaft with the worm gear.

2. Remove the front panel and operate the VCR observe if the eject function works OK or not.
Old 7th Apr 2019, 11:12 am   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
Hi Tim

Your VCR have the S mechanism. Check the following parts.

1. Check the motor coupling for cracks( the part which engage the loading motor shaft with the worm gear.
Thanks for the comments.

Yes the coupling was cracked (split) as I said. That has been repaired now.

Quote:
2. Remove the front panel and operate the VCR observe if the eject function works OK or not.
Yes I did that. At one point only, the motor struggles while raising the cassette but before it ejects it. Always at the same point. Only in eject, not in load. So it "works" but I am worried the extra loading at that point may lead to failure of the worm gear coupling again, or failure of the motor.

Tim.
Old 8th Apr 2019, 5:49 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

I'm still unsure whether I've fixed the real problem here or whether the same thing will happen again. Does anyone know how often these small plastic worm gears used to split?
Old 8th Apr 2019, 6:32 am   #5
vhs doctor
Pentode

Goodmorning Tim

The link is for the SONY S mech

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_s_mech.../download.html

Check the alignment of the gears.
In your machine there is a slide block between main cam gear and eject mechanism. Be sure that it is well lubricated and do not overtight the screws on slide mechanism.

About lubrication be sure that you had remove the old grease before apply new. Also check the grease for plastic compatibility.

Check also the worm gear for cracks. If the mechanism stuck in eject but you hear the loading motor rotate freely this mean that you have problem on motor coupling or in worm gear.
Old 8th Apr 2019, 1:39 pm   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

Thanks VHS Doctor. Will look at the slider lubrication.
Closed Thread