UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2018, 5:55 pm   #1
WR4ITH66
Retired Dormant Member

Default Old Perdio TV help.

Hello all.

It's my first ever post and first like to say I joined here to get help, but after reading around, I have I like a lot of stuff post here, good site.

Anyway my mam passed away and I have found this TV set in her house in the bottom of the cupboard funny thing I cannot remember seeing it, had bit of a read around on the web that's when I found this site. Wonder if anyone can give me a bit info on it?

Cleaned it out fitted new plug and to my shock it works well black screen with white lines, but on trying the house aerial cable I got what sounded like a news station could hear voices in the back ground.

The TV is pretty condition only thing I can see is a small crack in the left side front "O" button.

Not sure to keep it or sell, anyone know what it's worth? Sadly there's no box for it, be nice to know as much as I can about the TV, like what all the buttons do, maybe at the end of the day if I come to see it, I hope I get some great feed and what it's worth. thx

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9229.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	164859   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9232.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	164860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9236.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	164861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9234.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	164862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9230.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	164863  

Last edited by Station X; 18th Jun 2018 at 6:26 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:38 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Perdio TV help.

Hi I believe these were actually made in Sunderland.
To get it to work properly these days you will need a standards converter and some other bits; see some of the threads as to how this is done.
I would NOT run it again until various checks have been done and some components changed or you may give yourself a fright if something goes POP, or you could do expensive damage to other good parts of the set.

Ed
Old 18th Jun 2018, 7:22 pm   #3
WR4ITH66
Retired Dormant Member

WOW Sunderland not far away from me then, 20miles or so, any idea if its worth keeping or selling, not sure even what its worth, would it be better to sell it to someone who going to use, if was to keep it may end up in the cupboard of my house, and that be a shame as i like to see things been used.
but thx for the feed back
Old 18th Jun 2018, 8:02 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

The decision as to keep it or sell it is one for you. To operate the set you will need a standards converter like this. http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Des...Converter.html
These sets seem to be popular with enthusiasts as I suppose they don't take up a lot of room.
There is a lot of info on this forum and on the web if you search Perdio Portarama.

I would expect it to make reasonable money if you did sell it as it looks in very good condition and is complete with all the control knobs. I have seen a few slightly battered incomplete sets over the years but yours is worth a premium in my opinion due to it's condition.
I wouldn't want to suggest a price as different people have different opinions as to what something is worth. some people seem to still be in old money !
To get the best price sell it on ebay on auction it will then find it's worth.
You would have to pack it extremely well for carriage though.

I would suggest packing it in a box and then suspending that box in a larger strong box with plenty of loose packing to cushion it. most couriers seem to really chuck stuff around thinking nothing of dropping packages 6 feet or more your packing would need to survive that!
It's a very nice set good luck with it whatever you decide to do..

Rich.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 8:41 pm   #5
WR4ITH66
Retired Dormant Member

It is in very good condition, nothing missing, would like buyer to pick it up, instead of posting it.

Last edited by Station X; 18th Jun 2018 at 10:12 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 8:57 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Could not agree more,if it would not stand a 6 foot drop then make it collection only.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 9:13 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi there and welcome.
The first thing to say about that Perdio "Portarama" from about 1962 is that it receives only the old 405 line standard that was finally closed down in 1985.

I'm not sure what station you heard on the sound, it could be amatuer radio station on the 6 meter band if you were tuned to channel 2 or 3.

These sets were popular with caravanners and boaters, did your late mother do that sort of thing?

As others have said, you were lucky it survived being powered up after so long.

I used to have one, I wish I still did.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 9:42 pm   #8
WR4ITH66
Retired Dormant Member

caravan sister just told me, turns out it was used up the lakes, that been 60s/70s think rambo1152 you right turned the channel switch on the side and heard in the background quite voices.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 9:58 pm   #9
Studio263
Octode

I restored on of those recently; an excellent set when you get them right (not that that's especially easy). This was one of the first really popular transistor TV sets that you could buy in the UK - interesting. Sadly, vintage TV people can be snobbish about (or afraid of) transistors so these don't have a massive following.

Without a standards convertor you can't show it working so a wise buyer would assume that work will be needed. This was how mine was; complete, tidy looking but not working. I was the only bidder at the starting price of £20, and I only did that because it looked like it was going in the bin otherwise. Lovely set though.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 10:11 pm   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

Mine was also an ebay purchase, in very good condition and cost £39 inc postage as a 'buy it now'.
It has a good bright raster, but no signal getting through as yet....

They are an attractive little set, I look forward to getting mine on the bench later this year.

Mark
Old 18th Jun 2018, 11:12 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Mine was £25 plus P&P, and it has no knobs, no aerial, and the battery cover is missing! It does have a good tube though, and is mostly functional...

As for the signal you picked up, it could be a radio station, I’ve managed to pick up some stations on some of my old unrestored TV’s before, although I think that may have had something to do with the amplified indoor aerial I was using! As others have said, you will need a standards converter to make it display live (or recorded!) TV again. There are some who have managed to get an old PC to work as a standards converter, but then you would have to build a modulator to get the signal from the PC to the TV.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the set

Regards
Lloyd
Old 19th Jun 2018, 6:34 am   #12
slidertogrid
Octode

Not wanting to take this thread off topic but as far as the radio stations being received on the Perdio. I had the same experience with the first (and oldest) TV set I restored. A Bush TV22.
Before I bought a converter I ran it up and picked up radio 2 and a couple of other stations when tuning. I was quite puzzled by this and assumed I had made a mistake somewhere when recapping the IF stage. I asked the question on here "what have I done wrong" and was told it was normal for that to happen. I still couldn't understand how a AM sound stage was picking up FM.. This was duly explained but I can't remember now what the answer was.

Anyway short answer is that's fine it's probably OK...

Rich.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:48 am   #13
peter_scott
Dekatron

You can demodulate FM on the slide slope of an IF.

Peter
Old 19th Jun 2018, 12:00 pm   #14
Brigham
Octode

The three buttons on the front are OFF-MAINS-BATTERY.
This may be the set with the internal battery, which was a rare thing in the early '60s.
Most portables had a special lead with crocodile clips to go on your car battery.
Can anyone confirm?
Old 19th Jun 2018, 4:49 pm   #15
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Yes, there is a space for a battery in the back of the set, not sure what type though!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 19th Jun 2018, 6:18 pm   #16
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Mark 2 Portorama employed a pair of Venner rechargeable batteries.

Link to a previous thread about this set: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=143480

Servicing procedures on page 3.

DFWB.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:53 pm   #17
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Pictures of the Vennac batteries.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PerdioPortarama.12.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	164899   Click image for larger version

Name:	PerdioPortarama.13.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	164900  
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:26 pm   #18
linescan87
Heptode

How long would they run on the battery?

John Joe.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:34 pm   #19
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"How long would they run on the battery?"

Hi John Joe,
I believe about two hours on a full charge. The Portorama will also work on a 12volt car battery.
The Pye TT1 is the same, that set used nine 1.2volt NiCad cells.

DFWB.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:52 pm   #20
linescan87
Heptode

Interesting, must of been quite a novelty back in the day. Battery powered and without the noise of a ht vibrator like earlier sets such as the Ekco tmb272.

John Joe.
Closed Thread