UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:06 pm   #21
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Sig Gen Advice

Yes the pictures are a bit crap, I took several and that was the best I could get. Searching for images of "Motorola plug" I get something that looks like it would fit. I'll have a look and see if I can get any online, cheers
Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:12 pm   #22
Station X

I've just checked my Advance P1 SG and found it uses a car aerial type socket and plug.

These generators came with a termination pad which is often missing. Details in this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=56666

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:13 pm   #23
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Yes the pictures are a bit crap, I took several and that was the best I could get. Searching for images of "motorola plug" I get something that looks like it would fit. I'll have a look and see if I can get any online, cheers
Hang on a bit. I may be able to find you a plug with a lead attached.

Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:21 pm   #24
PsychMan
Octode

That's very kind of you graham, please let me know how much you would like for it.

I wasn't aware of the termination pad so that will also be missing but looks pretty simple to construct from the link

Cheers
Adam
Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:57 pm   #25
Techman
Dekatron

Very good! It'll probably just work. I've not seen them with that type of connector before. Just strip back the end of a piece of coax and double up the inner so it makes contact with the inner of the socket and the braid contacting the outer without shorting and see if you get an output on a scope, then you can look for the proper type connectors, or possibly think about changing the sockets for better types.

There's a strange bolt and washer next to the modulation switch - possibly someones idea for an extra internal earthing connection?
Old 12th Jun 2018, 1:14 pm   #26
PsychMan
Octode

Yes I wondered that, I haven't had a look inside yet, Ill let you know when I do
Old 12th Jun 2018, 3:02 pm   #27
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
That's very kind of you graham, please let me know how much you would like for it.

I wasn't aware of the termination pad so that will also be missing but looks pretty simple to construct from the link

Cheers
Adam

I found a plug and lead, but the crimped connection between the plug and the outer conductor of the coaxial cable is a bit dodgy, ie high resistance. The last thing you want is a dodgy test lead, it'll lead you a merry dance.

So you'll need to get a new lead, These are sometimes sold as car aerial extension leads. For example:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-P...1K2P7A19TAXKA7

A better bet would be to change the socket on the SG to a BNC type. Test leads for these are readily available.

Old 12th Jun 2018, 4:19 pm   #28
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks very much for looking, that's gives me a few options
Closed Thread