UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 11:11 am   #1
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Video 2000 question

Hello everyone. I just bought some Video 2000 tapes but I have no way to play them. Can you give me some advices on what machines to avoid? I hear some early Philips models suffered from misplacement of the audio head and that caused the audio not to be in sync with the video. Also, which machines can play SECAM tapes? Any info appreciated.

Fivos
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 11:43 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Video 2000 question

Personally I like the Philips machines, certainly the VR2022 and related models, which I think are well designed and well made (and with only one rubber component -- the pinch roller -- in the entire deck).

Philips certainly made SECAM (only) versions of some of them. I have a VR2022 SECAM unit here (and it is not for sale!). It's similar to the PAL VR2022, but with some plug-in boards different (to get the SECAM colour encoding/decoding, and oddly for an extra slow-motion mode)
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:02 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Thanks for your answer. PAL and SECAM (dual system) V2000 VCRs don't exist? What's the full model number of your SECAM machine?
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:06 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There may well have been multi-system V2000 machines, I don't have one, but I am hardly an expert on such things.

As for the model number of my SECAM machine, I will have to dig it out to check, but as far as I remember it was VR2022_with_the_Philips_suffix_for_France. Maybe VR2022/19
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:33 pm   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
Also, which machines can play SECAM tapes? Any info appreciated.
I don't think the information on the tapes has any knowledge of SECAM or PAL. These standards only affect the input and output circuitry in the recorder.

Peter
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:36 pm   #6
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

France used SECAM-L. Quite a bit different from SECAM B/G which is what I'm looking for. I guess I have to look on the service manuals.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:38 pm   #7
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

It appears that some (all?) Grundig machines were 2 standard.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...2x8_stere.html
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:47 pm   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

The model ends in "P/S" which stands for PAL/SECAM. I think the UK models end in "GB", which are PAL-only.
Closed Thread