UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2018, 1:38 am   #21
mickash
Hexode

Default Re: B & W sets over 16" after 1980

When our firm could no longer souce new Thorn 1615s we started supplying Grundig mono TVs (they may have been branded Minerva) The cabinets were silver, the tubes 20" I think. When tuning stations a vertical band appeared on the screen and swept across in the same way as a radio tuning dial would.
I've got a feeling that these sets were produced in Taiwan.

Michael.
Old 27th May 2018, 7:52 am   #22
hamid_1
Heptode

The Philips L7 had the same feature - a vertical black line that swept across the screen as the tuning was adjusted. Pictures here

Maybe it was the same chassis inside, or a close copy.
Old 27th May 2018, 10:26 am   #23
Richard_FM
Octode

My parents 16" 1980s Philips had a yellow bar to show it was auto tuning, as did the Pye 21" of the same era I got in the late 1990s off my Aunt & Uncle.

Grundig seemed to share technology with Philips in the early 1980s, with one late Philips V2000 VCR being a rebadged Grundig.
Old 27th May 2018, 12:16 pm   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

The Grundig bar was likely their own design as even while they shared technology they did suffer from the not invented here syndrom.

Outside the UK, the colour of the bar changed to red or green depending on the band it was tuning.

About the Cihan set, I still agree with what I wrote about it earlier. Might have something to do with Samsung, details might give a clue.
Old 27th May 2018, 8:24 pm   #25
ben
Dekatron

I'm sure I have a Thomson badged Cap10. Edit: pic added. I used it plus a little 'Elekta' job in a video art installation a couple of years back. It looks very 'American' with its excessive silver plastic trim and mock wood cabinet!

The late manufacture B&W sets I have are a 14" job with a radio in and rotary tuning dial for both TV and radio. I picked it up off the street brand new in its original box and it has sat on a shelf in my workshop unused for the last 15 or more years! Then there were those 4 or 5 inch jobs sold in discount stores in the 1990s.
And yes, I still have that big early 80s Philip linked in the other thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thomson b w.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	163641  
Closed Thread