UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 12th Aug 2019, 12:29 pm   #41
Vintage Engr
Pentode

Default Re: Chas Miller RIP

I have known Chas, - & Jo for very many years. I also like him, started off in radio, moving on the television. I well remember all his contributions to 'Practical Televison'
- more latterly 'Television' Magazine. Fortunately, I still have a number of his signed books.

Very sad to hear of his passing, and my condolences go to Jo & the family.

After moving up from London to Shropshire, nearly 20 years ago, I was able to visit Chas & Jo quite often. They were always so welcoming, and as others have said, Chas was keen to share his wealth of knowledge. More recently, if he had something 'more modern' or very small & fiddly to repair, he'd give me a call, & I'd go over & help. Great times.

Just trying to squeeze through the piles of historic electronic kit was inspirational,there was always something interesting, - & when finally one sat down at the bench, there was but a small space to work in!
The distraction of other items was sometimes overwhelming, and one had a desire to repair or re-build some other item, as well as the job in hand. I once said to Chas that if we were locked in his workshop, as long as we were fed & watered, I could stay there indefinitely!

My wife also used to help Jo with the catering at various events, many years ago, so we really felt part of the Radiophile Community.

We shall all miss him, his passing marks the end of an era.

David.
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2019, 8:27 am   #42
steve.seven
Triode

So very sorry to hear of loss of Chas, like others on this forum I never met him face to face but have spoken to him over the phone on occasions and immediately felt the warmth and humour he radiated. His knowledge on Radio matters had no bounds and this together with his skills in writing articles on many varied topics in the Radiophile made him unique, always a pleasure to read. My condolences to his family and friends .
Steve.
steve.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2019, 11:14 am   #43
alanmoore
Triode

Very sad news , I never met Chas ,but always found him very helpful , when needing service data .
Enjoyed his articles on various vintage TV sets in Television magazine.
Another great font of knowledge has now gone.
My thoughts go out to Jo and all of the Radiophile family.
alanmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2019, 1:03 pm   #44
M6SPW1974
Tetrode

Very sad & my condolences go out to Jo & his family.

I was having a really good chat with him at Gnosall in June as he was happy that i won the x2 HRO's as he knew i always wanted one & he gave me some tips as to how to restore them (which i have now done).

Thanks for inspiring me Chas & for being the knowledgeable & genuine nice chap you were,especially towards a young un like me.

It was a pleasure to know you.

RIP pal xx

Last edited by M6SPW1974; 13th Aug 2019 at 1:31 pm.
M6SPW1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2019, 12:15 pm   #45
Murphy Maniac
Pentode

Default Chas Funeral

I can now confirm that Chas Miller's funeral will take place at 11.30am on Thursday 22nd August at Stafford Crematorium, Tixall Road, ST18 0XZ.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 4:08 pm   #46
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I will be there Geoff.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 5:36 pm   #47
StuartG0TBI
Diode

Only just had chance to reply

A great and sad loss our condolences to Jo and Dean

Stuart and Anne Mckinnon
VMARS

Sadly we are away at the time of the funeral, if someone can privately mail me the family address, we have a card standing by

You will be missed Chas!
StuartG0TBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:54 pm   #48
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Done Stuart.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 5:03 pm   #49
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I would have liked to attend the Funeral Service on Thursday this week [p45*] but unfortunately, family commitments preclude this. I recall first hearing about Chas and the magazine in the mid eighties. He was to make an appearance in Warrington. I bought a P Wireless there to try and track him down-no luck. When I explained to the lady in the shop what I was looking for, she said "There's some sort of Antiques event on in the Civic Hall". Arriving there we located Chas and Jo stood behind their stall with a Radiophile banner above them. These were the days when Wireless"info wasn't so generally available so I was really delighted when they sold me not only the latest and contemporary issues of the magazine but copies going back to the stapled together [Formerly the Radiogram] ones as well.

I only spoke with him a few times. Once when Gerry Wells was judging at Shifnall-what a great pair! Chas used to complain about people leaving items behind after auctions so I wrote [tongue in cheek] with my subscription saying I and others would volunteer to have them. His reply was, that's all very well but he'd identified me as one of the culprits so perhaps I could do something about the lid I'd left behind first?. Fortunately, I was able to plead extenuating circumstances as I hadn't known that the item came with a lid in the first place! Knowing that he had a certain [er] sensitivity re telephone calls to his home, I was quite flattered that he troubled to ring me up one morning to advise that I'd paid my subscription twice. I said, "Well that shows how good it is but I can't promise to do it every time."

It's the measure of people like C E M that we delude ourselves they will be able to go on forever. It wasn't a bad run though by any standard and full of great achievement-a thoroughly decent man. My condolences to Jo. It's fitting that she is on the cover of the last ever Radiophile-144. In the editorial [dated 16th April] he refers to an accident his wife suffered five months before, thanking well wishers and also subscribers for being patient. He refers to the rate in which the weeks speed by "in the wink of an eye it is suddenly Friday night." almost a memorial in itself! He thinks it would be worse to have nothing to do and ironically, quotes an old saying " The best way to kill time is to work it to death." a fitting epitaph perhaps!

Best Wishes to all,

Dave W.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2019, 8:12 pm   #50
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well said Dave.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 8:30 pm   #51
dominicbeesley
Octode

RIP. A true gentleman
dominicbeesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2019, 6:25 pm   #52
ChristianFletcher
Hexode

I’m rather late to pay my condolences. But having just started getting back into vintage radio I find myself reading his restoration book and amazed at his depths of knowledge and nice writing style. He will be missed.