UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2021, 11:53 am   #1
MagicalGammon
Triode

Default Replacement idler wheel for Collaro Studio

I'm trying to resolve an issue with the speed change on a Collaro Studio autochanger. There's a few issues here but the rubber ln the idler wheel is not great so Im looking to see if theres any compatible replacement, for example if there are ones marked as BSR that the collaro would take, same diameter etc?

An online search doesn't prove fruitful for a Collaro Studio idler.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 12:20 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacement idler wheel for Collaro Studio

The are two rubber drive wheels in your Studio. Both can be refurbished and there are various methods to achieve this. I would recommend, and as a low cost fix, by having these skimmed. Having suggested this, I do know that some Members here do not favour this approach. You cannot use the BSR idlers.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 1:10 pm   #3
Ekcoman
Heptode

A first suggestion would be to lightly use a very fine flower/sand paper and carefully wipe the edge so roughing up the area that meets the idler. Make sure you wipe clean after using a clean cloth, dampened slightly with clean water or pure alcohol.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 1:32 pm   #4
MagicalGammon
Triode

I wondered if sanding might help, one reason I did want to replace is that someone at some point �� has put the metal platter back on and pushed down, while the edge of the idler wheel was out near the edge. A crack can be seen at thw edge (maybe the outer 3mm) and the rubber is bending away. My worry is that sanding might weaken the area further and cause this fragile edge to shear off while the turntable is in operation.

Definitely worth a try before I give up on it but would be nice to know a replacement could be found if worst happens.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 2:24 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, I can well understand how it got badly crimped on this turntable. You could have it expertly skimmed so as to take the whole 3mm off and get back to the good solid rubber. You really can't do this with sandpaper. Reducing the diameter will not affect performance as these are "intermediate" wheels.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 2:57 pm   #6
Chiltern
Heptode

Collaro idlers have become difficult to get in useable condition.

You can of course send yours off to get it rebuilt but at a cost.

If your idler is held on with a small screw and is 2.1/2" diameter then you might look for spares for Collaro reel to reel decks as these parts seem to come to market more often than turntable spares.

Don't expect them to be cheap though, some Collaro decks now have a following and these idlers are in demand. It might be more reasonable to get another deck, if you can determine the condition of the idler.

FWIW, I have in the past made a similar request to yours with no response. Luckily managing to get spares from a r2r deck.

From your description, your idler would not appear to be suitable for the edge to be skimmed or trued up, 6mm off the diameter might be too much.

Alan
Old 4th Mar 2021, 7:49 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

Just send it to Terry it will come back better than you could ever repair it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Mar 2021, 12:47 am   #8
MagicalGammon
Triode

I tried sanding the edge very lightly to bring up the rubber surface again but in the end the contact between idler and motor pulley was inefficient due to a very loose spring on one of the metal arms underneath.

This wasn't springing it into the place up against the motor pulley. Have adjusted and all seems to be in better mechanical order. Thanks to all for advice.
Closed Thread