UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2022, 10:32 pm   #21
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: BVWS Golborne Manchester meet Sun 30 Oct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squipper View Post
So you don't need me and my Burco then Greg?...
Kind of you to offer Paul, if it's no trouble to the Burco may be helpful. Jim has volunteered and will be serving drinks with a couple of kettles on the go.

Buzby, by all means bring your magazines but please be prepared to take any back with you that you can't dispose of, we can't dispose of any left overs at the venues bins and neither do we want to take any unwanted materials home...

see you there...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 29th Oct 2022, 11:42 am   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagpie View Post
STOP PRESS!

I've just had a call from the hall at Golborne, due to low staff levels the kitchen will not be open this Sunday, so please bring your own snacks and beverages.

Apologies but this is beyond our control and we're unable to put in place any alternative arrangements for refreshments at such short notice.

But still looking forwards to a good meeting...
I'm sure we'll all overcome this mishap, I for one will be bringing my own sandwiches and a flask of proper, brewed coffee. And thanks for letting us know as soon as you knew, but I do think it's remiss of the venue to make such a late announcement, you'd have thought that they'd have had discussions and made plans, including contingency plans (backup staff etc) well in advance. Anyway, looking forwards to a nice day out and meeting up with friends old and new. Thanks in advance to all the BVWS organisers who work tirelessly to enable these events to happen.
Old 29th Oct 2022, 1:01 pm   #23
Reelman
Octode

I echo Steve’s words, I can only imagine the time and effort put in to making these events happen so successfully by the committee members and their helpers. All for our benefit!

A sincere thank-you.

Peter
Old 29th Oct 2022, 1:48 pm   #24
Squipper
Pentode

Good news chaps, I found the Burco so will bring it early doors tomorrow
Still got to test it mind...

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 29th Oct 2022, 8:08 pm   #25
bikerhifinut
Octode

I hope to make it Greg so Dave M won't need to relay terry's bits up to Cumbria!!
I'll have to leave quite early to be back in Carlisle in time for my hospital visiting slot, Mrs M is still in unfortunately.
Regards.
Andy
Old 29th Oct 2022, 8:12 pm   #26
Valvepower
Octode

Hi Andy,

That's good news you can make it.

You won't be disappointed with the haul.

Terry
Old 30th Oct 2022, 10:32 am   #27
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Had a message form Andy (bikerhifinut) and he's broken down with transmission failure on the M6 so he won’t be able to make it to the Swapmeet and pick up the bits from myself.

Andy has contacted Mike Barker and he’s told Greg he won’t be picking up the bits, so we go back to plan ‘A’, which was Dave Moll picking it up on Andys behalf.

Regards
Terry

Last edited by Valvepower; 30th Oct 2022 at 10:42 am. Reason: Triping Errot
Old 30th Oct 2022, 5:44 pm   #28
bobbyball
Octode

Great day and good turnout; thanks to Greg and the gang for making it possible, and Jim for the brews!
Old 30th Oct 2022, 5:49 pm   #29
Kentode
Octode

Another great day at Golbourne, managed to keep my purchases under the three figure mark this time, which will make SWMBO happy!

As always, thanks to the organisers for their continued hard work and the venue for having us.

Nice to meet a few new people and put a face to the avatar and enjoyed talking to old (and not so old) friends. One of them could even hear the line whistle!

See you all in the spring...

BVWS member
Old 30th Oct 2022, 7:22 pm   #30
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Another successful day at the Bring & Buy, raising a little over £75 (I don't have an exact figure as a couple of donations for items were made direct to Mike or Greg after I had passed over the takings).

Unfortunately, I need to report that a few people who had brought items for proceeds to be donated forgot to take away unsold items (see picture below of the items left over - innocent bystander deleted). To help prevent this from recurring in future, I shall ask for all items to be identified to their donor before being deposited at the B&B. I should add my thanks to those who assisted in disposing of the items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&B leftovers.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	267186  

Last edited by Dave Moll; 30th Oct 2022 at 7:24 pm. Reason: forgot to add thanks.
Old 30th Oct 2022, 7:57 pm   #31
Dickie
Octode

That raises an interesting point. I donated a couple of items at the last Retrotech and was told that if they are given as "donations to the BVWS", as opposed to selling for 10%, then they become the responsibility of the BVWS to dispose of as best they can, and the donor doesn't have to take them home again if they don't sell. Some clarification on this would be good.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 30th Oct 2022, 8:04 pm   #32
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
That raises an interesting point. I donated a couple of items at the last Retrotech and was told that if they are given as "donations to the BVWS", as opposed to selling for 10%, then they become the responsibility of the BVWS to dispose of as best they can, and the donor doesn't have to take them home again if they don't sell. Some clarification on this would be good.
That's a good point you raise. Surely, and in all fairness, if you donate an item to someone totally then it becomes theirs to do what they want with it? Sell it, use it, dispose of it, whatever? Otherwise it would seem a much better 'deal' to allow the seller to take just 10%. Kind of, you can't have it all ways?
Old 30th Oct 2022, 8:15 pm   #33
Dickie
Octode

To be fair to the B&B management, they would have to be able to say "no thanks, we couldn't even give it away!"

Richard, BVWS member
Old 30th Oct 2022, 8:50 pm   #34
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It is made clear (though maybe not sufficiently so) that it is the proceeds of any sale that are a donation to the BVWTM, not the item itself and that items are presented on a "sale or return" basis whether on a 10% commission basis or for a straight donation, as neither I nor the BVWS have the storage capacity for more than the most minimal amount to be held over to the next B&B.

The feedback is useful to inform making matters clearer next time.
Old 30th Oct 2022, 9:53 pm   #35
Dickie
Octode

Hi Dave,
Where is it made clear? Your position contradicts with the information given to me by a BVWS committee member (maybe rashly!) on the B&B stall at the last Retrotech.

- No upset intended, just clarification!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 30th Oct 2022, 10:17 pm   #36
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have asked Greg to comment as Chairman.

Personally I think the approach Dave Moll mentioned is how it should be (neither the committee or museum want to be left with unsold items) and if someone on the stall said otherwise that was an error.

This is not suggesting people deliberately donate unsellable junk of course, just that nobody wants it that day.

Dave has also suggested that this information is made clearer, which I think is a good plan to avoid future issues and misunderstandings.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Oct 2022, 10:27 pm   #37
Dickie
Octode

Thanks Paul. It raises the interesting question of who sets the asking price? I suspect that if the 'scope in Dave's photo had been priced at £5 it would have sold. When I donated my items I was told "we" would reduce the selling price to make sure it was sold before the end of the day.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 30th Oct 2022, 10:39 pm   #38
Buzby123
Heptode

I returned to Golborne at 15:15 to collect any leftovers of mine.

Unfortunately I thought the event closed at 16:00, but apparently it was 15:00.

When I got home I checked the BVWS event page, but no closing time is mentioned, so I don't know where I got 16:00 from.

It was not my intention to leave the organisers with a problem, I'll know better next time.

Sorry,

Buzby
Old 30th Oct 2022, 11:55 pm   #39
Paul Stenning
Administrator

That’s a good point with the closing time. With events that have auctions we are obviously there later but if an event finishes mid afternoon then it should be on the website. I’ll confirm the official finishing times of the different events and add them.

I put a number of items on the B&B for museum donations at the last Retrotech, and they did reduce the prices of unsold items through the day, with a couple of stragglers free in the last half hour, and all mine went.

With a BVWS event that doesn’t have an auction it is likely to thin out earlier so later reductions of donation items on the B&B are less likely to be effective.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 31st Oct 2022, 12:05 am   #40
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good evening,
Many thanks to all for putting together another brilliant event. Plenty of interesting sets on the BVWS stall and managed to restock my dwindling capacitor supply from the stall.

I bought the Philips scope right at the end of the event as it is a very basic 2 channel scope with no real bells and whistles as it would be ideal to teach my sons how to drive an oscilloscope. It had the last laugh as it blew up its RIFA filter capacitor in the middle of the living room 5 minutes after switching it on, smelling the house out and getting a clip round the ear from SWMBO for doing that !!. Snipped it out in the workshop and just needs noisy switches and pots to sort out.

Christopher Capener