UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2022, 11:21 pm   #61
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Re: Ultra BRC 1500

Thanks both of you. The smearing is not affected by the horizontal hold. More so when the brightness is turned down. Having said that it’s got much better with use.
The pulling happens when the contrast or brightness is turned down. I can then correct it with the horizontal hold. I don’t think any of it is a big problem as it’s getting better all the time. I will try and do some more checks to try and cut the hum down on the sound Andy
Old 10th Nov 2022, 12:32 pm   #62
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
Thanks both of you. The smearing is not affected by the horizontal hold. More so when the brightness is turned down. Having said that it’s got much better with use.
The pulling happens when the contrast or brightness is turned down. I can then correct it with the horizontal hold. I don’t think any of it is a big problem as it’s getting better all the time. I will try and do some more checks to try and cut the hum down on the sound Andy
Interesting it sounds like a capacitor, most likely an electrolytic, is slowly reforming.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 6:44 pm   #63
frsimen
Heptode

If it is a capacitor, C81 in the flywheel filter circuit would be a good candidate. It's a 1uF electrolytic.

Elsewhere on the forum there is a thread concerning a Pye V110 with somewhat worse cogging on the verticals. They were cured by dressing the lead from the video amplifier to the CRT base away from the line output transformer. In the 1500, the white wire from the video output stage to the tube base could cause a similar problem if it is too near to the line output transformer.
Old 12th Nov 2022, 12:56 pm   #64
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Steve. Thanks for the knobs . They look great .
The picture is getting better all the time . C81 has been changed. As have all but one. Almost every cap was oozing something or at was a callins
The smearing has got better. I have adjusted L14/15 that’s improved the sound .
The only thing that’s really a problem now is the picture sometimes jitters. If I adjust the frame hold it slightly helps but then the frame rolls. If I leave it . The jittering stops and comes back randomly. Sometimes not at all. It’s possibly worse when I turn the brightness down. Andy
Old 13th Nov 2022, 2:45 am   #65
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I think I’m almost as far as I can go. I know it’s not perfect but it’s acceptable . Well to me .
The picture considering how bad it was has got better all the time . The only thing it’s still doing is now and again the picture is jerky. When it starts if I turn One of the following the tuning , brightness , contrast or frame hold It stops for 5 - 10 secs then starts again . I can’t find anything loose when I tap things. It does stop on its own and might not come back to next time I switch it on from cold. Maybe it will go away on its own . Wishful thinking
I will give the set a good clean tomorrow Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C331E763-505E-4D0C-BB63-A50350CD1E3C.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	267973  
Old 13th Nov 2022, 9:26 am   #66
Rich Woods
Pentode

For what it’s worth (not much), my money is on a dirty / cracked track in a pot in the frame section or a dry joint. Difficult to find.
Old 13th Nov 2022, 11:05 am   #67
ms660
Dekatron

I remember intermittent frame jitter once being due to mains derived 50Hz interfering with the frame stage.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Nov 2022, 7:19 pm   #68
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks both of you .The jitter has infact gone. Not sure it it will come back. Probably. I did take out the cap across the mains and forgot to put a replacement in. I will do that now.
The picture is now nice and bright and the smearing has almost gone .
on the not so good side the contrast is not so good. It might Infact got slightly worse.
I did check the contrast pot and nearby resistors . I changed one Out of spec but made no difference . It’s watchable but I suppose the tube is past it’s best . Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1EDB42B4-9810-4FDB-8652-BBF7ADBE1D91.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	268142  
Old 17th Nov 2022, 9:33 am   #69
Rich Woods
Pentode

That sounds like the set drying out. Excellent news. Keep on running it, it can only help.

Last edited by Rich Woods; 17th Nov 2022 at 9:40 am.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 5:04 pm   #70
Colourstar
Octode

Looking good Andy, those knobs set if off nicely. Good to see you are watching some period-correct programme material too (New Seekers?)

My 1500 was stored in a cellar, which didn't do it many favours, but I particularly wanted an Alba T1520 (thanks Neil ) as one of these was our family set in the 70s. This one needed a full set of lockfits and a re-cap before it came back to life Still some cosmetic work to do but it's a keeper! Unusually for a 1500 it has a proper wooden cabinet, not plastic.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alba T1520.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	268245  
Old 17th Nov 2022, 10:57 pm   #71
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Looking good Andy, those knobs set if off nicely. Good to see you are watching some period-correct programme material too (New Seekers?)

My 1500 was stored in a cellar, which didn't do it many favours, but I particularly wanted an Alba T1520 (thanks Neil ) as one of these was our family set in the 70s. This one needed a full set of lockfits and a re-cap before it came back to life Still some cosmetic work to do but it's a keeper! Unusually for a 1500 it has a proper wooden cabinet, not plastic.

Steve
The HMV ones had wooden cases too from what I remember.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 12:05 am   #72
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Steve.
Those knobs do look good. It’s surprising what a difference they make.
It’s not the New Seekers just a act on the Wheel tappers .
I have the same Alba set as yours . Mine was never used and like new .(see previous post) now working. Great. I also got another unrestored. I do have a very tatty HMV with wood case .

I’m quite pleased I got this set working as it had so much missing and so much wrong. So thanks everyone for your help Andy
Old 18th Nov 2022, 4:32 pm   #73
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Worth checking for dry's on frame transformer, very common once.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 4:40 pm   #74
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Worth checking for dry's on frame transformer, very common once.
And there are a couple of 39 k's across that transformer that cause some strange symptoms too.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:58 am   #75
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I think they were 18K's across the Frame Output transformer primary. I will need to dig out my 1500 manual to confirm this.
Old 26th Nov 2022, 10:55 pm   #76
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Just a update.
Thanks everyone but the set has been working fine over the last few evenings . The frame output transformer was originally missing . The joints should be ok but as the set has worked ok I’m leaving it at that Andy