UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2022, 5:52 am   #21
Simondm
Pentode

Default Re: RS New Handling Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy-dxer View Post
https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/UNC.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I dislike paying such charges though so if I need something from a different supplier (say Digikey) I make up the order to the no-handling-charge limit with other items I can always use. With Digikey it's normally UNC nuts and bolts, hard to find in the UK and useful to me as I work on a lot of American computer hardware. If I needed something urgently from RS I'd probably add a couple of cans of propan-2-ol cleaning solvent, or a reel of connecting wire, or... Something I am sure to need in the future.
I use Westfield, mostly for small orders (the quantity discounts are clear on their web site).

I've had excellent service and quality from them, and they stock a few oddities that are hard to find elsewhere, for example extremely long, M5, Allen-headed, domed machine screws (needed just one, for mounting a toroidal).

Just saying...
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 6:05 pm   #22
McMurdo
Dekatron

I suspect the delivery contract is negotiated favourably, either a fixed monthly sum for exclusive deliveries or similar, which is why sometimes a single order for 3 different parts sometimes arrives in 3 different bags from 3 different warehouses.
Strangely last week I had 2 RS bags arrive by DHL and another an hour later by UPS.

I'd say the dreaded virus is to blame, CPC introduced a £17.50 minimum order value at that time and Farnell a £45 minimum order before free delivery. The HSE have forced restrictive working practices regarding distancing between workers and rules regarding testing. As of Oct 22 these are still in place in some work places and it makes sense to dissuade unnecessary work(ers) in the warehouse.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 6:24 pm   #23
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I've kicked out against this, as you can see from earlier posts. I have having a little rant about this to my better half, and she just shrugged and said "but it is a different world now".

I guess she is not wrong. My son would say that I'm turning into an old man who shouts at clouds!

Craig
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 8:25 pm   #24
duncanlowe
Nonode

I've used RS one way or another through my entire life, even before working.

Last place I worked, we ordered so much from them, that we had our own special deal on pricing, delivery and so on. Sometimes they would place three or four smallish orders every day. Got delivery before noon the next day, for nothing. Even got them to start stocking some stacking banana plugs that they discontinued, and in bulk packs too.

I find it hard to believe we were actually a significant enough customer for that to be sensible, but they did it.

Anyhow, I don't begrudge them. It's a shame yes, but reality!
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 10:07 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

With one exception, my recent orders from CPC have been delivered the next day, despite my only having specified the standard 3-5 days free delivery.
Old 8th Oct 2022, 4:31 pm   #26
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I very seldom use RS now as the cost of components (even before the new delivery charge was introduced) in my opinion is very high. An example is the UF4007. I wanted 200 for stock and RS wanted to charge me nearly 48p each in packs of 50 so I would have needed 4 packs total cost £96 + delivery of £3.95 so £99.95 Switch electronics on the other hand were charging 10p each for a quantity of 200 and if I ordered 250 the delivery was free total cost £25. Bit of a no brainer really...

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 9th Oct 2022, 10:15 am   #27
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

In the early 60's RS did a large quantity of business using COD, cash on delivery. [you paid the postman]
I can't remember if they charged the P.O. COD fee that was around 5/- 25P back then.
I don't blame them for charging. £30 does not buy you much today. John.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 11:20 am   #28
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I've never had a problem with companies charging a minimum order amount, what I do take exception to is sky high prices compared with other suppliers. Also the delivery service for RS went downhill when they switched to DHL, certainly in the area I live in.

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 9th Oct 2022, 11:58 am   #29
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
With one exception, my recent orders from CPC have been delivered the next day, despite my only having specified the standard 3-5 days free delivery.
This applies if your order contains items that are prohibited by Royal Mail. Main items are aerosol cans, lithium batteries & various similar items. If you want your order quickly- order a spare can of switch cleaner.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 1:50 pm   #30
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith956 View Post
It's only £3.95 for orders under £30. .
If you are not a business it looks like £6.95 for orders under £50.
This would have caught a few orders of mine from 2020 so I would have probably gone to CPC or another alternative if the items were available for a similar price.
Old 10th Oct 2022, 5:10 pm   #31
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In practice , the RS definition of a 'business customer' is conveniently slack.

They don't want bank references or VAT numbers or anything associated with Companies House, just a 'Trading As' identity is seemingly good enough to get your access to the trade-terms benefits.

I use my ham radio callsign as my business ID on their site.
Old 21st Oct 2022, 5:13 pm   #32
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've just noticed CPC have recently upped their minimum order from £17.50 to £20 in order to avoid a £5 handling charge.
Old 21st Oct 2022, 8:41 pm   #33
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I've just noticed CPC have recently upped their minimum order from £17.50 to £20 in order to avoid a £5 handling charge.
I placed an order with CPC yesterday for an item over 40 pounds in order to avoid the handling charge from Farnell. I suppose the two Farnell companies are just doing what the relevant market sectors will accept.
Old 6th Jan 2023, 7:54 pm   #34
Cathovisor
Banned

RS have changed their handling charge threshold again - it's now >£50 for free P&P, otherwise it's £6.95.

Farnell have a £40 threshold, but the P&P charge for sub-£40 orders is now £9.95.
Old 7th Jan 2023, 12:27 am   #35
McMurdo
Dekatron

the higher charge is for non-business account holders only, I've just checked (6th Jan 23).

The threshold for full account holders is still £3.95 if under £30.

RS can't really go much further with this as both Digikey and Mouser can fly orders in for free over £33, and I doubt the US giants are operating a cartel with the UK ones...more likely the uk suppliers 'know their enemy' and price their handling with this in mind.

As an aside, I'm currently getting Mouser orders in 48 hours. I placed a £42 order on wednesday afternoon and it arrived by Fed Ex at 8.30am today (friday).

RS dont even bother to tell you if your parts are held in the uk or on the continent and if it's coming from europe you can wait a week for DHL to turn up.

Just before christmas I was expecting an order from Mouser and the tracking showed it had been delivered, though it hadn't. A quick phone call to Mouser and they said not to worry, they'd ring Fed Ex and if they couldn#t retreive the package, they'd send it out again on an international priority. Luckily the Fed Ex guy turned up first thing next day and actually apologised for his mistake.

Try tracking a lost RS parcel and you'll get a week of excuses from them before admitting defeat!
Old 7th Jan 2023, 12:07 pm   #36
Phil__G
Octode

Back in December '21 when RS switched to DHL I had terrible problems for weeks, the whole next-day delivery thing went completely to pot, non delivery, lost items, one parcel took 2 weeks & I had to chase DHL internally... Seems to have settled down again now thankfully.
Old 7th Jan 2023, 12:49 pm   #37
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I'm a great fan of Mouser. They have a much wider range than RS and Farnell, better stock levels, and as you say Kevin, warp speed shipment and great customer care.

Craig
Old 7th Jan 2023, 1:16 pm   #38
Cathovisor
Banned

I have to say the service I've had from Digi-Key in the past has been excellent but I can't really use them for home stuff as my business is tied to them so buying stuff via my business then selling it to myself is just tedious.
Old 7th Jan 2023, 5:31 pm   #39
duncanlowe
Nonode

Makes it seem CPC are reasonable again. £20 ex VAT. And with the increase in costs of everything, I only had to add a PP3 to six PIC uCs to get above the threshold. Deliverd via RM 48.
Old 7th Jan 2023, 7:19 pm   #40
Aub
Nonode

Are we still talking about handling charges or postage? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

Aub