UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2019, 1:04 pm   #1
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Default Park Air Electronics - Model 25/SS Airband Transceiver

Hi,

I recently purchased a Park Air Electronics Model 25/SS Airband Transceiver.
It was an impulse buy as my interest is vintage airband receivers, of which Park Air made some in the 1960's.

The Model 25/SS comes with 3 crystals - 38.2, 122.2 & 122.7.
I don't know if the transceiver works, but have taken a couple of pictures and uploaded them on my website - www.raf-fairford.co.uk/vintage-airband

I have contacted Park Air for more information, but no response so far.

Wondering if anyone knows anymore about this radio?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 10th Mar 2019, 3:15 pm   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Park Air Electronics - Model 25/SS Airband Transceiver

No data was available back in 2000 as obsolete, so no chance now. It was designed in 1969 and built for Nipper (aviation?) based at Castle Donington. Known as the Nipper Radio afaik.
Rob
Old 10th Mar 2019, 3:49 pm   #3
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Hi Rob, this is fascinating. Thank you!

I didn't realise the radio was so old.

Any ideas why there's a 38.2 crystal in the radio as I thought the Civil Airband was 118 - 136mhz?

I will add your information to my site.

Darren

Last edited by AC/HL; 10th Mar 2019 at 4:05 pm. Reason: Forum rules
Old 10th Mar 2019, 4:08 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

38.2 MHz will get tripled to 114.6 MHz

With a 10.7MHz IF this will receive on 123.5MHz
With a 21.4MHz ID it will receive on 136.000 MHz

David
Old 10th Mar 2019, 5:06 pm   #5
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Thanks David - so more likely 123.5 based on the other 2 crystals in the 122 range
Old 10th Mar 2019, 9:46 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I am fairly sure they were 10.7MHz IF. Back in 1969 I helped build a few. A lot of the holes were drilled with a Stanley hand brace! The crystal oscillator switchboard cost a fortune, because of all the crystals and the nice quality switch, IIRC by DiamondHcontrols?
I think, the only service information was our own manufacturing blueprint style. The operating instructions were hand typed and duplicated. Production started above Jackmans Gents Outfitters in Red Lion Square, Stamford. 50 years ago today and I was taking my first driving lessons as a 17 year old and an employee there!
Mostly designed by the owner/founder Fred Parker G3FUR who is still around even today. Must be in his 90s?
These days it is now known as Park Air Systems (Not "electronics") and is owned by Northrop Grumman. Based at Market Deeping, Lincs. Employing well over a 100 people, maybe 130+?. A far cry from the 6 or 7 full time staff (and 3 part-timers from Airworks Services at Midland Radar, North Luffenham) of the late 60S when I was employed there. For only just under a year though. We even smoked inside the workshop! AND, I took it in turns fetching doughnuts for those willing participants, from the bakery across the town square! Even the boss liked his jam doughnut! What "accidentally" happened to the Mars bar being carried up the stairs and thus causing a feud is another story!
Rob
Old 11th Mar 2019, 9:59 pm   #7
CarbonMike
Triode

I had some business dealings with Fred Parker in the 1980s. Went to see him at his historic house in what was then Rutland, overlooking a lake. Good to know he's still with us.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 3:43 pm   #8
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Many thanks for the additional responses. Sounds like there's a lot of history on Park Air which should be documented one day!
I'm reluctant to sell the 25/SS due to it being a part of the early Park Air history. It's just a shame that I'm not going to use it, unlike an airband receiver.

Last edited by AC/HL; 16th Mar 2019 at 6:39 pm. Reason: Forum rules
Old 16th Mar 2019, 7:20 pm   #9
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I have a 4004 base station, a 5610 mobile and 2x vhf 5100M rx. Never done anything with them yet!
Must dig them out and see if still working. The 5100m is a very nice rx. Front panel lcd display and programmable 118- 135.975.
The 25/ss only had about 100 made IIRC? A lot of "hand crafting" went into each one!
Rob
Old 16th Mar 2019, 7:32 pm   #10
skyking_comms
Tetrode

I wonder how many of those 100 still exist...
Old 20th Mar 2019, 11:49 pm   #11
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking_comms View Post
Sounds like there's a lot of history on Park Air which should be documented one day!
Snippets of the product history may be gleaned from occasional magazine items, and I have attached a small selection from the 1966-72 period. It’s interesting that by mid-1969, Park Air was using dual-gate mosfets in the front end and linear ICs in the IF strip in some or its airband models, thus paralleling what was happening with domestic FM tuners of the period. Given its probably low production rate, I wonder if it used modified FM front ends. In the later 1970s at least Ambit offered modified versions of its FM front ends for other (higher) frequency ranges.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Park Air Miscellaneous Magazine Items.pdf (1.74 MB, 228 views)
Old 21st Mar 2019, 10:00 am   #12
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

They have a small collection of their products at the Market Deeping factory. I think the coils within cans (IF) were by Electroniques of Felixstowe. Things like signal frequency were tinned copper wire hand wound on a drill bit and tuned with nice quality silver plated Oxley ceramic trimmers. Overtone oscillator coils etc were hand wound on an Aladdin former and "Denfix" applied. It is polystyrene dope IIRC . It was heady if sniffed! Yes, in 1969, Fred was certainly interested in the latest technology. He must be in his early 90's by now, but was invited back to the factory about last September. He was delighted I am told, his first visit for many years. I phoned him at home and had a few minutes chat. He wss as bright as a button!
Rob
Old 21st Mar 2019, 10:58 pm   #13
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchrodyne View Post
Snippets of the product history may be gleaned from occasional magazine items, and I have attached a small selection from the 1966-72 period. It’s interesting that by mid-1969, Park Air was using dual-gate mosfets in the front end and linear ICs in the IF strip in some or its airband models, thus paralleling what was happening with domestic FM tuners of the period. Given its probably low production rate, I wonder if it used modified FM front ends. In the later 1970s at least Ambit offered modified versions of its FM front ends for other (higher) frequency ranges.
Wow - they had a 'Sky King' Aviation receiver - that's the same as my user name! I really want one now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 7:22 am   #14
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Darren, Skyking produced a lot of aircraft electronics over many years. It could wind up being a big collection!!

M me if you are interested as I may have some manuals

Ed
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 8:50 am   #15
skyking_comms
Tetrode

I don't have the room for all their radio's!

But.. will look out for the early 1960's Park Air airband receivers such as Concorde, Sky Bandit, 360 Channel, Sky King and Kurer (although never seen a picture of a Kurer)

If I manage to find any then I will be in touch about manuals - thanks
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 9:06 am   #16
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Don't know the order of products, but Sky King, Sky Bandit etc were other named radios imported from Japan the FM modified to airband AM, new label and tuning scale fitted and sold at airshows, usually with Fred present. I once had a very long day at Biggin Hill. The Bedford Dormobile grocers van used "Parkers Worthmore Stores" developed problems about 50 miles from Stamford and had to be nursed home slowly with frequent stops to top up the radiator. Driver wss Ken Pugh, G3HSE who was also the builder of all the base station chassis on weekdays.
Rob
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 1:17 pm   #17
skyking_comms
Tetrode

Fascinating! Gauers was possibly the first company to use another manufactures radio and convert to VHF airband - I have lots of info on that company here www.raf-fairford.co.uk/gauers

I've attached pics of the 25/SS inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Park Air Inside.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	180365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Park Air Inside 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	180366  
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 7:01 pm   #18
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Those pictures bring back many memories! Some modules assembled by myself and/or my mate Steve Bogen during 1969/70. Never knew where Steve ended up after joining the RAF and going for training at RAF Locking. Also, us both listening to Kenny Everett on radio 1. Especially remember hearing the comment on air about an MP's wife (I think) possibly slipping a backhander to the driving test examiner for a pass result. I think that was the final nail in his coffin.
I think a friend, retired 2 years ago as Test engineering manager, having worked there almost 50 years, also has a 25/ss. He has just a small collection of PAE gear.
Rob
Old 27th Apr 2019, 2:18 pm   #19
skyking_comms
Tetrode

I have decided to sell the 25/SS and it's now listed in the For Sale section

I have also managed to find a Park Air Concorde which arrived today. On the back it says -
'National Panasonic, Model RF-610, FM AM 9 Transistor' Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd - Made In Japan.
So Robinshack was correct about the Japan imports!

Now I just need to find other Park Air airband receivers!
Closed Thread