UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2019, 10:11 am   #1
unitelex
Hexode

Default Philips N4407 "in between wheel" rubber

Hi,
Hoping to replace the rubber tyre on a Philips N4407 "in between wheel", the rubber has turned to goo as it does. note this is for the take up spool drive wheel, not the pinch roller.

Several historic posts mention this.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=4407

The rubber seems to be available from Germany for ~£15 which is quite costly for what it is.

Can anyone help with the outside diameter of the rubber when it is fitted on the wheel? I will try to source some rubber tubing of the right size

Thanks
Old 25th Apr 2019, 6:54 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4407 "in between wheel" rubber

If it's just a single-step idler, the actual size is not all that critical, as long it is big enough to contact both the driving and driven parts and not big enough to foul on anything. The size of an idler does not affect the overall transmission ratio.

If it has different steps so the driving spindle presses on a different diameter than the driven wheel, then the ratio between the two sizes is important.
Old 25th Apr 2019, 7:51 pm   #3
unitelex
Hexode

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your information, yes understand, just want to get it close to the original as the diameter affects the resiting position and spring tension and pressure on the driving and driven wheels to some extent.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 8:53 am   #4
rontech
Heptode

My local plumbers merchant stocks a very wide range of rubber "O" rings some quite large in diameter. It might be worth investigating.
Old 28th Apr 2019, 11:52 pm   #5
unitelex
Hexode

Good idea, there are probably a number of sources of tube or thick washer or 'O' ring that will work.

Just hoping somebody has an original and can advise me the outside diameter dimension.

Chris
Closed Thread