UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2015, 12:55 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Interfacing a SATA drive to an older PC with only IDE interfaces

In case the image isn't very clear, the cable is terminated in a rectangular 10-pole (2 x 5 pole) female connector measuring 13 x 4mm x 14mm, and, in this instance, is used to connect front panel USB< Firewire, headphone & microphone sockets to a computer's motherboard. An identical socket is fitted at poth ends of the cable, with the (?HP/Compaq?)part no. 'Rev. A FICP/N 22-10522-01 printed on a sleeve. I need to obtain another, similar cable, but with a 2 x 4 pole plug at one or both ends, in order to connect a Western Digital WD800JD Hard Drive to a Compaq Presario S7390UK Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0845_Converted.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	103072  
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 1:04 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: What is this connector called?

Key dimension is the spacing between pins.

Molex originated them, I think. Samtec are very active with such parts.

Measure pin spacing very carefully it could be metric or imperial. Measure over a number of pins and divide by the number od spaces for best accuracy.

RS or Farnell will have something.

DAvid
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 1:18 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

Looks like a standard motherboard connector. They used a 4 pin to connect sound cards. Should be easy to get. Try a local computer shop for a lead.
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 5:08 pm   #4
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-pin-he...item4d2b4aaf78

(Plug at one end and socket at other end.)

Sorry, this has 2x5 pins!

Michael
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 10:36 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Michael (yesnaby) and others. I didn't know they were called 'Pin headers'. What I'm really looking for is a cable with either 2 x 8 pin sockets or 1 x 8 pin plug and 1 x 8 pin socket. I'll check out CPC, CHS, RS, etc., to see if they stock such a thing.
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 11:43 am   #6
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Not sure I understand why you need this cable ... any chance of a picture of the HD and motherboard connectors? There is some talk on another forum of a special 'Foxconn' connector.
From what I can make out the Compaq S7390UK uses a Microstar motherboard (probably wrong here!) with only IDE connectors. The WD800JD HD can be either IDE or SATA.
Is the cable you are looking for to be used for data or power?

Michael
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 12:17 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The cable I'm looking for is for Data transfer, Michael. The Western Digital HD, as you say has both IDE & SATA connectors. The 'Pin Header' cable is needed to transfer the data. ON the HDD's PCB is marked 'SSC, PM2, OPT1 & OPT2'. I already have a suitable cable for the Power supply connections. AFAIK you are correct about the Presario's Motherboard, but I'll have torecheck the connections, as I was hoping to connect the HDD in place of the front panel USB, etc., connectors until realised that this uses a 2 x 5 way 'PH' connector. The 'WD' HDD was salvaged from a scrap PC some time ago, and I was asked if I could extract the data from it and transfer it either to disc(CD/DVD) or Memory stick, so I need either a cable as described or an adaptor for the ribbon cable/connector assembly already fitted to the HDD. I'll take some photos, and post them later, to show what I mean. BTW On which other forum are 'Foxconn' connectors mentioned?
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 12:24 pm   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

Are you sure that is the correct connector? The drive has both IDE and SATA power connectors but data transfer is by SATA which is next to the SATA power connector on the hard drive. There should be a similar SATA data connector on the mother board. The connector you are probably referring to on the HDD is probably for setting various options on the drive.

Keith
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 12:58 pm   #9
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Bit of a mystery here! The motherboard does not seem to have any SATA connectors.

The post mentioning Foxconn connectors was on the Golborne Vintage Radio forum. Just look for S7390UK and Foxconn in Google. Unfortunately when you click on the link given it does not work.

Michael
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 1:44 pm   #10
KeithsTV
Nonode

Here are pictures of typical SATA connectors on a Hard Drive and a Mother board.

The drive connector is in two parts, a 21 way power section and a 7 way data section. The second picture is a typical motherboard data connector usually there are four grouped together. The data cable has identical connectors on both ends.

The small connector on the hard drive with, in this case, two pins is not normally used.

The SATA connectors have been carefully designed to ensure that the ground connection is made before the signal connection and the power connector has "pre-charge" pins to minimise the effect of suddenly applying power. These measures ensure that the drives can be removed and refitted without powering down the system. In all the years I've been working with SATA drives I've never had an issue with damaging them by removing or connecting to a powered up system.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDD SATA connector.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	103126   Click image for larger version

Name:	MB SATA.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	103127  
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 2:02 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
Bit of a mystery here! The motherboard does not seem to have any SATA connectors.l
Given that model of the Presario is at least 10 years old it won't have any SATA connectors (The original specs for SATA were only finalised in 2003)

It should have IDE - your existing hard-drive and DVD/CD drive will be on an IDE chain.

SATA-to-IDE adaptors are easily available: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ide-to-sat...-adapter-n40hn

Alternatively if you have a spare expansion slot on the motherboard one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sata-ii-1-...ess-card-a33fk

would be worth a punt, and potentially a lot faster than using USB.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 23rd Jan 2015 at 2:09 pm.
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 2:09 pm   #12
KeithsTV
Nonode

That second adaptor is for PCI express rather than the older PCI. It's probable that if the mother board has PCI express connectors it would have SATA connectors. PCI to SATA adaptors are also available.

The first link looks interesting though. I've never seen an adaptor like that, able to convert IDE to SATA and vice-versa.

Keith
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 2:21 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
The first link looks interesting though. I've never seen an adaptor like that, able to convert IDE to SATA and vice-versa
I used just such an adapter to drag the data off the old 1Tb IDE drive in my old PC and copy it to the 2.5-inch SATA drive in the new Gigabyte BRIX-2807 which has now become my main computer.

Thinking about the OP's issue - basically connecting a SATA drive to a PC that doesn't have any SATA ports but does have USB ports - why not use one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2535-inch-...rdreader-a27jb

and plug it into one of the front-panel USB ports on the PC?
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 2:57 pm   #14
KeithsTV
Nonode

Another interesting device.

Keith
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 5:04 pm   #15
Mattylad
Triode

These:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10piece-2x...item566fbff02b

And a little wiring & heatshrink will enable you to make your own cable.

Although http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalo...eries=1900-Hxx would be better (with the crimps) but they are not in small quantities unless you want to try cpc.
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 5:11 pm   #16
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Just making up a cable won't help.

The OP's HDD has SATA and IDE ports.

The OP's PC has USB ports and presumably an IDE string for the original HDD, but no SATA ports.

Without some intervening USB<->SATA interface electronics, just physically wiring pins on the USB connector on the motherboard to pins on the SATA HDD it's not going to play.
Old 25th Jan 2015, 10:16 am   #17
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I note that CPC list various adaptors/converters, amongst them 'CS15847' (NL-SATADUALADAT), described as a SATA-IDE adaptor. Could something like this not be used to connect the HDD in question to my PC?
Old 25th Jan 2015, 10:56 am   #18
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

It should work. Plenty of cheap ones on eBay, e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-...item20f199e30e

Speaking personally I've never got on with these types of adaptors, probably because I wanted to use them for CD/DVD drives and not hard disks! But I believe they do work OK with hard disks.

Michael
Old 25th Jan 2015, 11:29 am   #19
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

What I forgot is theat there are already spare E-IDE and 4-way Power connectors installed in the PC to allow for the additon of, e.g. a second HDD or CD/DVD Drive. The E-IDE 9if I counted correctly!) has one row of 20 sockets and another row with 9 sockets, a gap then 10 sockets. Preumably this is standard, and, if an E-IDE to SATA adaptor is available, the WD HDD could be connected by this means.
Old 25th Jan 2015, 6:50 pm   #20
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Today I purchased from Maplin, a SATA to IDE adaptor (N64HQ) connected this to a spare IDE plug and 4-way Power lead, plugged in the Western Digital HDD, with the result that the Power & Read LEDs illuminate, the latter flashing then going out, indicating that the drive is beibg/has ben read, but the SATA LED doesn't Illuminate at all, and, on checking the Properties it states that the HDD is working, but the location is (0), and there's no way to access the WD HDD in order to display it's content on screen. Normally, when items are added 'Found New hardware' &/or 'New programs Installed' appears, but not in this case. Microsoft's troubleshooting pages make no mention of SATA, and the part of Microsoft Fixit which deals with HDDs won't run on XP. I've set the WD HDD to be the 'slave' drive. Given all the above, is there any way to have this PC recognise the added HDD?
Closed Thread