UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2020, 11:40 pm   #21
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Audio Research Reference 2 Pre Amp Dead 1CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
...and once that decision's been made chip-based volume control becomes the easy off-the-shelf option.
Easy off the shelf options at that price? All fur coat...
Old 21st Jul 2020, 6:03 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

The psychology of conspicuous consumption.

To the west of Edinburgh was a restaurant. It was very famous for how expensive it was. Not for the food, which was decent, but for the price. It was exactly the right place to take someone who you wanted to impress with how much you were prepared to spend on them. They understood their market and how to cater to it (sorry for the pun).

David
Old 21st Jul 2020, 6:43 am   #23
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I've had a look at the diagrams. It's a prime candidate for the Linsley Hood cup for making the power supply use more devices than the signal path, the Bonavia Hunt bucket for gymnastic avoidance of AC coupling, and the Sinclair slap for inappropriate use of devices. Not to mention that the XLR pins are numbered differently from the rest of the civilised world...
Old 26th Jul 2020, 6:12 pm   #24
nigelr2000
Heptode

Well I have hit a wall on this one, DS1666-100 are available but I can't find anywhere stocking DS1666-10 which after a lot of thinking I reckon this is the faulty one as the output on the 100 rises as you turn the volume up but is only a DC voltage between 0 & 5 volts suggesting it is being fed by a faulty chip outing 5 volts instead of audio which is the 10. Anyone know of anywhere stocking the 10 I can get the 50k one ok but that would mean some mad wiring to get 5 wired up in Parallel
Old 26th Jul 2020, 7:14 pm   #25

Look on the bright side, at least the valves are not on display for looks and boasting. As in post 7 a 5534 is a good idea or two 5532s for a posh version.

Old 26th Jul 2020, 8:14 pm   #26
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Look on the bright side, at least the valves are not on display for looks and boasting. As in post 7 a 5534 is a good idea or two 5532s for a posh version.
Ouch! what like the one I have just finished
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0015.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	211913  
Old 30th Jul 2020, 9:52 am   #27
dave cox
Nonode

https://www.rocelec.com/part/maxds1666-10

Available, but there is a minimum order of ~ $250
Old 30th Jul 2020, 12:30 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

Rochester Electronics are a very special firm. They buy up end of run stocks, they also buy masks or the rights to artwork and they sometimes commission semiconductor fabs to do new runs of old parts which once were made by a variety of original manufacturers.

They are in business to serve industries with spare parts availability, like aerospace and military as the obvious ones, but also firms making and supporting industrial machinery.

Products whose lifetimes are much longer than the semiconductor industry caters for.

For these reasons, although Rochester's prices aren't bad for what they're doing, the minimum purchase is set on the industrial scale.

Those parts were cheap from Maxim back in the day. I'll go with Ted's 'all'fur coat' comment.

I'll add that Maxim are a very forwards looking semiconductor house. They make some great parts and are always amongst the first into any new field. They are also pretty much the first to obsolete them later. I avoid them like the plague.

David
Old 30th Jul 2020, 3:16 pm   #29
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Well I have hit a wall on this one, DS1666-100 are available but I can't find anywhere stocking DS1666-10 which after a lot of thinking I reckon this is the faulty one as the output on the 100 rises as you turn the volume up but is only a DC voltage between 0 & 5 volts suggesting it is being fed by a faulty chip outing 5 volts instead of audio which is the 10. Anyone know of anywhere stocking the 10 I can get the 50k one ok but that would mean some mad wiring to get 5 wired up in Parallel
Available on Ebay for around £10 from China but could be fake/used etc. Might be worth a punt though...

Kev
Old 31st Jul 2020, 9:01 pm   #30
nigelr2000
Heptode

I found that listing too but the 1666-10's show as out of stock
Old 31st Jul 2020, 9:41 pm   #31
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Rochester Electronics are a very special firm ...
I once (at work) called them about a component for an obsolete HP phase noise test set which we were still using pretty much every day. The lady I spoke to confirmed that they had the part in stock. Then I asked for a price. It's the only time, as far as I recall, that anyone in Sales has actually said "You might want to sit down before I tell you". It was ridiculously high. But it was very much cheaper than a new test set. So I bought it.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 31st Jul 2020, 10:41 pm   #32
Radio Wrangler

They know their market!

David
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 10:30 am   #33
nigelr2000
Heptode

At last I have found some after searching for 010 suffix instead of 10 £4 each so ordered 2
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 10:47 am   #34
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Fingers crossed.
Closed Thread