UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2020, 10:04 am   #21
DJ LD Man
Triode

Default Re: Vortexion 50/75 amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
And what a terrible bodge on such a well made amp! I come back to my point as to how this amp is to be used. When fixed, is it to be Sold on, or used for PA voice use, for high-power Mono disc use, or just a project for some future use? This would help us more in assisting the OP to get what he wants/expects from it....
I have been asked to a reunion disco in Llandudno for the crew who used to spend their Saturday nights at the Winter Gardens, dancing the night away.
I am the last surviving/active(?) member of The Orville J Heap Supersonic Stereophonic Mobile Disco Roadshow so I thought "what the heck", we ruled the roost in the 70's both in quality and power.
So given that covid would probably push this back to 2021 I thought I would start collecting some gear. My pocket however is forever empty so cheap is it.
I have a Tutor II projector but need a rotator and a coloured wheel or two.
I have a set of flashing lights all be they LED's (but amazingly bright
I have a disco console which I've been ripped off with all ready but at least I've got it back.
I bought the Vortexion 50/70 and a pair of speakers but having had a stroke several years back I've forgotten all of my electronics and have had to go left handed making most things very awkward to say the least
Old 28th Jul 2020, 4:24 pm   #22
DJ LD Man
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ LD Man View Post
This is the Vortexion 50/70 inside.
pot 1 would need extra stripping down to view properly.
The audio connections do appear to be drilled a bit roughly so would seem to be an after market addition and the top row does appear to piggy back the bottom row.
If I connected another set of speakers to the top connections how would this affect the audio please?
I'm not sure about the impedance of the ones attached now but the other set are 8ohms
Finally for now I have noticed a loud buzz at about 50% volume on pot one and two. Pots three and four are much lower volume but the sound is clearer :|
Many thanks
My latest findings from my no technical ability persona are 1/ The rather loud buzzing could have been caused by running the amp naked (no lid) in close proximity to the disco console as I've refitted the lid and it does appear better
2/ Pot 1 is ok I think as the volume knob was slipping around on the pot shaft. A bit of carefully folded paper seems to have done wonders. Simple mistake I know but I'm a very simple person :|
Old 28th Jul 2020, 8:21 pm   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ LD Man View Post
I have been asked to a reunion disco in Llandudno for the crew who used to spend their Saturday nights at the Winter Gardens, dancing the night away.

I am the last surviving/active(?) member of The Orville J Heap Supersonic Stereophonic Mobile Disco Roadshow so I thought "what the heck", we ruled the roost in the 70's both in quality and power.

So given that covid would probably push this back to 2021 I thought I would start collecting some gear. My pocket however is forever empty so cheap is it.
I've got some odds and ends of (somewhat more recent) Disco stuff which you can have if FOC you've any interest in it. I rescued it from a trip to the tip when a friend of a friend was having a garage clearout of a load of her deceased partner's "old rubbish".

There's some sort of twin CD player / 200W amp/mixer console thing, some light boxes and a STL unit and a digital player mixer unit box.

I have no likely use for any of it!

See pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD_PA.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	212110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5491.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	212111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5492.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	212112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5495.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	212113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5490.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	212114  

.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jul 2020, 7:04 am   #24
peter_sol
Octode

Inputs 1 and 2 are for microphones only.
The gram input may be used as for the aux input.
The aux is a line input which could be used to plug a CD player, PC,Phone or Mixer into.
Inputs 1,2 and 3 could be modified to Aux inputs if you know what you are doing.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 5:14 pm   #25
DJ LD Man
Triode

Wow! Chris, that is absolutely fantastic and generosity as I've never seen or experienced in many a long year, Many thanks

Thanks Peter for that information, I am getting to know a little bit more all the time. Who said the old dog couldn't learn new tricks
Closed Thread