UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2020, 2:56 pm   #1
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Anti dust material

I am currently doing some projects that will be using slider potentiometers and require some of the black anti dust material that used to be seen in various equipment. What I actually want to know is; what is this fabric called, so that I can track some down. Thanks
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:37 am   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Anti dust material

I have since discovered that there are kits for Roland equipment. The material that they supply is '1.5mm pre shaped EPDM neoprene rubber' and rather expensive, however it's the thin black cloth type material that I am after. Doing online searches just brings up face mask material, which is not the same or what I require. Someone out there must know what it's called.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:49 am   #3
llama
Octode

It's kinda like thin felt (from the odd ones I had that came with slide faders) so I Googled "thin felt" and there were lots of hits. The first few didn't quote how "thin" so I gave up. You might have more luck or possibly contact the sellers.
Graham
Old 29th Jul 2020, 12:11 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Thanks for that suggestion Graham. The stuff I have in mind is approx twice as thick as 80gram printer paper and if held up to a light, looks like it is full of tiny holes. Also it does not seem to shed bits from itself, so I would need to be very careful with standard types of felt, as some felt does shed fibres.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 12:27 pm   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Dave, I was also looking for something similar a while back. It's the same material as used to cover slide switches. If using felt it probably needs to be moderately hard to avoid shedding fibres. I had thought about using something like thin clear plastic similar to overhead transparenty sheet. Not sure if it would impede the smooth operation of the pot though.
I notice the reputable manufacturer ALPS often supply their slider pots with a felt type dust shield bonded to the pot.
Could it be worth contacting ALPS to perhaps direct you to the manufacturer of the material or at least identify what it is?

Regards,
Symon
Old 29th Jul 2020, 12:34 pm   #6

How about cotton (or someshuch) tape, available from Hobbycraft in the sewing department. https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/sewing/ribbon

Old 29th Jul 2020, 2:51 pm   #7
G6ONEDave
Octode

Thanks everyone, I have finally found what I was searching for. The only place that I found it was on the aliexpress.com website. The item is listed as 'slide potentiometer dust sheet' or 'dustproof sheet for straight slide potentiometers'. They come precut in several different lengths, you just order the size required, in my case 75mm with 60mm travel, they come as 15 per sheet and are self adhesive. The batch of 75 that I just ordered cost me $11.84 with free p&p, I guess thats about £9. Just have to play the waiting game as they are coming from the far east!
Old 5th Aug 2020, 2:56 pm   #8
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Could it be similar to the sort of woven plastic textile sold in garden centres as geotextile, and recently popularised as a homemade mask layering material?
Old 5th Aug 2020, 3:56 pm   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Don’t gardeners call it “fleece”?
Old 18th Aug 2020, 2:56 pm   #10
G6ONEDave
Octode

Heres my update on the dust cover material that arrived from the far east a little while back. The attached image shows how it is supplied, 15 covers per sheet with a minimum purchase of 75 covers (5 sheets). At least they are still available and come in different sizes to suit the various sized slider pots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dust cover.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	213812  
Closed Thread