UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2020, 1:48 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Amplifier build using EL506'S

The chassis is almost finished ,just the on off switch to wire an a bit of a tidy up, I have been wanting to make this amp for years ,It's a Brimar design, the main amp worked just fine , but had loads of trouble with the pre amp so I decided to use a different circuit for the pre amp , pleased to say it worked no trouble ,I chose an R.C.A MM Pre amp cct, the ECC83 worked ok ish but ,having experimented with different valves I chose the E88CC'S for there low noise ,I am very pleased with the performance , there is very little hum, in fact on CD input there is none . I was showing SWIMBO my handy work her coments were it looks like a rat's nest, she does have a point .
I chose to use a sub chassis ,then a decorative top ,this is black anodised aluminium . I have yet to make the cabinet ,this will be oak sides and front with a face plate let into the front there will be a groove in the oak to take the chassis and the top , I think the face plate will look good in black.
It will come into it's own in the winter I won't need a heater in the bedroom Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0015.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	211869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0016.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	211870  
Old 26th Jul 2020, 5:06 pm   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Amplifier build using EL506'S

Not a rat's nest, rats would have chewed all the insulation off the wires.....
It looks great, personally I like the point to point wiring, keeps the crosstalk down.

Peter
Old 26th Jul 2020, 5:26 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I was showing SWIMBO my handy work her coments were it looks like a rat's nest, she does have a point .
Don't take that to heart. Rat's nests are 100% suited to purpose. That's why there are so many of the little beggers around!

David
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:19 am   #4
Beardyman
Hexode

Excellent looking piece of kit, nothing wrong with the wiring, everything where it should be & secure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, certainly looks good to me. Well done sir.