UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2012, 11:04 am   #1
fetteler
Octode

Default Watkins copycat heads.

(Moderator's note; Split from this thread.)

Are you sure that the heads have been replaced as I have one of these and it too has cassette heads. I'm curious, and wonder if I should also be in the market for some originals?

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 5th May 2012, 11:59 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Watkins Copicat Super IC model

I am pretty sure they were 1/4 inch loops on most of those machines.
I might be wrong though.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:26 pm   #3
fetteler
Octode

Yes they were 1/4" loops alright there's no doubt about that, the cassette heads had the tape guides removed and are mounted in little aluminium carriers. There have been many variations on the copicat over the years; I've just been looking around and have come across these two pictures (among many others) which are exactly the same as mine (and the one in the OP) so I'm beginning the think that the cassette heads are original on these models.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copicat 6head.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	66188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copicat.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	66189  
Old 5th May 2012, 4:17 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I just thought the loops and the heads were one and the same. I can understand them using cassette heads at times when they were manufactured in great numbers because if the number on each machine. They do look like shimmed out 1/4 brackets though.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:31 am   #5
fetteler
Octode

Yes, I see what you mean, but if you look at a 'real' 1/4" copicat you can see that the heads are very differently mounted. I'm now certain that the cassette heads are original and to retain the character of this version of machine, are best retained. I just checked on my copicat and the brackets are not shimmed out, they look to be made specifically for the heads.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watkinscopicat5.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	66214  

Last edited by fetteler; 6th May 2012 at 12:38 am. Reason: adding picture
Old 6th May 2012, 12:39 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

The ones I have got would have to be used with existing guides as they do not have any welded onto them. I have not looked at a copycat for a long time as I have not been asked to fix any gig gear for a few years. I think the one I got to see was much older and it never needed to be repaired so not a close look.
Old 6th May 2012, 8:41 am   #7
dragonser
Heptode

Hi, when I worked for a music shop in the early 1980's they did some repair work for Wem.
From what I can remember there were several different heads fitted to the copycat units. The Copicat units do have a unique sound.

Regards, Peter.
Old 6th May 2012, 9:47 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

I once tried to build one I got it working for one record and one play head with 1/2 track heads 3 1/2 IPS using an old language school deck and a head plate was waiting to give it the 5 heads. The Circuit could record on one head while playing on the other as it was. I had to give up due to a stressful house move and never had enough van space. I do have a couple of the PCBs with germanium transistors in them.
Old 6th May 2012, 1:26 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Watkins copycat heads.

If i had completed it there would have been switching between all the playback amplifiers as each channel was full to a 600 ohm line output. The old transport had enough space to "stack" the circuit boards on pillars over each other. It was also adorned with a very clunky wired stop/start remote control via an octal connector. I was only able to save several PCBs with all OC series transistors on them. It would have been fun to complete it however external factors killed that project. it was pushed aside by the cinema amplifiers i have been tinkering with.
Old 15th May 2012, 8:01 am   #10
Electric-Hair
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
Hi, when I worked for a music shop in the early 1980's they did some repair work for Wem.
From what I can remember there were several different heads fitted to the copycat units. The Copicat units do have a unique sound.

Regards, Peter.
One might have been heads used in those 8-track cartridge machines. I assume it would be quite expensive to manfacture non-standard sizes.
Old 20th May 2012, 8:16 pm   #11
Valvewhiz1
Triode

Default Re: Watkins copycat heads.

You could try contacting Charlie Watkins, or search for Watkins Electro Music, he has info on his site!