UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2011, 12:20 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default dual sound reel to reel

Hi, I have just brought a 'Dual Sound' reel to reel player that uses a BSR deck. The amp is a fairly simple 2 valve deck. There is a problem with a valve what I think is incorrect. The valve line up is ECC83 and an ECL80. All around the ECL80 base looks burned and I believe that it is an incorrect valve. Does anyone have one of these machines and could possibly tell me the valve line up? Also the caps also get very hot and the ECL80 gets burning hot there is also a loss of sound during operation
Thanks
Old 25th Jul 2011, 1:47 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: dual sound reel to reel

Hi,
I would say the ECL80 is definitely wrong. I'm not sure, but I think that an ECL82 is much more likely. The ECL80 has a common cathode which could be causing the overheating, apart from having a completely different pin out. The ECL82 has two separate cathodes and is much more common in audio equipment. The ECL80 is primarily a telly valve.
I'm surprised you got ANY sound!
Hope this helps - a bit.

Cheers, Pete
Old 26th Jul 2011, 12:24 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: dual sound reel to reel

A poke around the base of the ECL and how it's connected should clear up the 80/82 issue, or at least eliminate one or the other.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Jul 2011, 2:02 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

The 'Dual Sound' was a pretty standard TRE 'Sound' tape deck which used a pretty standard circuit - it'll be in Hellyer's 'Tape Recorder Manual'.

Barry
Old 17th May 2012, 7:02 pm   #5
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi, I don't think that the ECL82 is the right valve for this, does anyone have a line-up for this? It uses a standard BSR deck,
thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 7:35 pm   #6
eric8650
Pentode

Hi there

First I would look take the ECL80 out and check the volage at Pin 3. If its anything high then (200v+) I would say the valve is an ECL86. This being the screen grid (g2) of the pentode. If there is no voltage then check if there is a low value resistor down to chassis. If there is then I would say its an ECL82. This being the cathode of the pentode.

I would say it is more likely to be an ECL86 than anything else.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 17th May 2012, 8:19 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

Agreed. They usually were an ECL82 or an 86. Different bases, so check you haven't blown anything! Unlikely though.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:26 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

There were lots of inexpensive tape recorders made with these BSR decks, and they nearly all have the same line-up of ECC83 preamp, EM84 level indicator and either ECL82 or ECL86 bias / erase oscillator / audio amp. The pin-outs of these two valves are different. Valves are generally pretty hardy things (with exceptions: I'm looking at you, DK91 and friends -- but not in the wrong tone of voice, obviously ), so misconnection is unlikely to have done it any harm.

Most of the pins on this valve will be connected to the record/play switch, which pretty much rewires the entire recorder depending which mode it is in.

However, the pin-outs of the ECL82 and 86 are such that pin 7 on either valve will be hard-wired to somewhere known.

On an ECL82, pin 7 is the second grid of the pentode section and this will be connected to HT via a high-value resistor (several hundred kΩ). On an ECL86, pin 7 is the cathode of the pentode section and will be connected to chassis via a low-value resistor (a few hundred ohms) probably with an electrolytic capacitor across it.

So, locate pin 7 on the valveholder (valves are numbered in the same manner as ICs: as you look down on the holder with the gap in the "north", 1 is immediately to the "west" of this and numbers increase anticlockwise till you arrive due "east" of the gap), trace the wiring and it should be obvious which valve belongs in this position. Post pics if you have difficulty.
Old 21st May 2012, 7:01 am   #9
DIN Plug Pete
Tetrode

Hellyer's Tape Recorder Servicing Manual says "as Sound model A41 Riviera", which uses ECC83, ECL86 and EM84 valves.
Peter.
Closed Thread