UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2006, 9:56 pm   #1
TimS
Pentode

Default EM80 not doing much

I've replaced the EM80 (and most of the other valves for that matter ) on my now working Orion AR612.

The old EM80 feebly emitted some light and didn't respond when a station was tuned in (after fitting the new valves elsewhere). The new EM80 brightly does nothing when a station is tuned in.

Pin 9 anode shows 250V (as it should) but Pin 7 shows a mere 26V while the Orion circuit diagram says 60V - how much leeway is there here? The resistor between these two pins shows 494K when the set is cold which is only 5% over its alleged 470K.

The grid shows -660mV(ish) with respect to chassis and tuning in a station doesn't have any noticeable effect - should I see any. Do magic eyes work by responding to a DC input or an AC signal? How do I troubleshoot?

Cheers,
Tim.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 31st Jul 2007 at 12:38 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 21st Sep 2006, 10:32 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: EM80 not doing much

Magic eyes are just voltage indicators. They show the AGC voltage. If you're not seeing any change of voltage on the grid you won't see the eye doing anything

Investigate the AGC. The most likely explanation is a leaky decoupling cap pulling it down.

Something may also be pulling the triode anode down (pin 7), maybe another leaky decoupler.

Good luck, Paul

Last edited by paulsherwin; 21st Sep 2006 at 10:38 pm.
Old 21st Sep 2006, 10:35 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

They respond to DC at the grid and there should be a 470K or thereabouts from pin 7 to pin 9. The constant -660mV on the grid is not right as I think it needs about -5V for a decent swing. Not sure of the circuit but it is often connected to the AGC. Probably a capacitor problem.
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 8:12 am   #4
peter_sol
Octode

Hi. To move the magic eye you need a strong signal. Are you using an aerial?
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 9:47 am   #5
Pumpernickel
Retired Dormant Member

Tim,

an EM80 needs about a DC voltage from 0 ... -4 V to bend the fan angle from 0...30°. If you don't measure those voltage changes by tuning, anything else is wrong.

Dieter
Old 23rd Sep 2006, 11:21 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpernickel View Post
If you don't measure those voltage changes by tuning, anything else is wrong.
I had a Hacker Mayflower which worked OKish but whose eye didn't move at all.

Of course, the magic eye was fine, it was just that the rest of the radio was performing so poorly that there wasn't a lot for the eye to respond to!

General re-capping and replacing many out-of-spec resistors solved the problem - and made the set perform much better too.

Nick.
Closed Thread