UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2019, 1:18 pm   #1
camerart
Retired Dormant Member

Default 2MTR Endfed PCB

Hi,
I've been told that a nice design for a 2MTR Endfed PCB, for portable use in portable situations, and about 5Watts, in a Uk radio magazine. It may have been Practical wireless, or other vintage radio magazine.

From this slim explanation, can anyone point me in the correct direction please?

Cheers, Camerart.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 3:23 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 2MTR Endfed PCB

The explanation may be a bit too slim.

Is it an antenna?

2MTR I assume means the 2 metre amateur band
end-fed is usually used to describe a class of antennae
PCB usually means Printed Circuit Board

Some antennae have been fabricated on PCB, but they are usually at UHF and microwave frequencies. Use of these techniques at VHF are going to mean rather large and very expensive pieces of board... and also problems with the wind.

So my guessing seems wrong.

David
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 10:05 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Since an endfed (half wave?) normally has a matching coil at the base of the antenna, my guess is that the PCB incorporates the matching circuit either as discrete components or as a 'printed circuit' coil. Coax from the transmitter going in at one side of the PCB, and a half wavelength wire coming out of the other.

I have an example of exactly this sort of portable end-fed half wave antenna with a printed circuit matching coil, but for 27MHz rather than 145Mhz.

Unfortunately I can't help the OP with his search for the 2m version.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 12:41 pm   #4
camerart
Retired Dormant Member

Hi R and S,
Correct, in a vintage radio magazine, was a design for a circuit that matches a 2Mtr and perhaps 70cms endfed aerials to a radio.

I can probably find it by asking around.
Thanks,
C.
Closed Thread