UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2003, 4:33 pm   #1
Chris_C
Hexode

Default Cleaning Waxed Caps and Greasy Dirt

I have been using Orange Oil based cleaners for the initial cleaning of waxed capacitors, to see the value, and to remove the general muck and dirt from cabinets and chassis for some time now.
I find it is far better than most other items and unlike WD40 it is non flammable and it smells nice . Useful where partners object to other chemicals. It is not so aggressive as WD40 and leaves very little residue, any that is can be removed with water.
On Bakelite I spray some on to a cloth then wipe the item over finishing with a damp cloth. It is surprising how much dirt can be removed without having to soak the part in water. Similarly plastic grills can easily be cleaned with it using a toothbrush or similar.
It can also be used on wooden cabinets without damage (so far anyway).
It is available in most hardware stores very cheaply now as it seems the original patent ran out.
If you get the chance give it a go and maybe report back. I for one though am a convert
Old 18th Oct 2003, 4:50 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cleaning Waxed Caps and Greasy Dirt

I've been using Servisol label remover and that too has that orangy smell. Never tried it for cleaning bakelite though. Must give it a try.
Old 18th Oct 2003, 4:55 pm   #3
Chris_C
Hexode

Hi Darren

Check the ingredients carefully or try on an unimportant item first.
Some label removers have quite a cocktail of chemicals in them.
Mind you, this sentiment applies to everything we try doesn't it
Old 18th Oct 2003, 6:23 pm   #4
Leon_Crampin

White spirit works like magic on wax coated capacitors. Go carefully with a tissue, and wipe genty to remove the dirt. It is also ideal for removing the residue on the chassis.

Old 18th Oct 2003, 7:33 pm   #5
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

I normally squirt a bit of contact cleaner (Servisol Super 10 or Electrolube EML) on to to rag/duster and wipe wax capacitors with that. Works a treat and evaporates away.

Steve J

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:59 pm.
Old 18th Oct 2003, 8:20 pm   #6
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk
I've been using Servisol label remover and that too has that orangy smell. Never tried it for cleaning bakelite though. Must give it a try.
I use something called 'Label off' which is made by a German company, and smells more lemony than orange. I have used it for cleaning in the past but have taken care to stay away from tuning dials...

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:59 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread