UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2006, 6:16 pm   #1
Brummiegal
Retired Dormant Member

Question Grundig TK141 reel-to-reel tape recorder

Hi,

I just joined this site today so I'm a newby here.

I have recently bought a Grundig TK141 reel-to-reel tape recorder from off Ebay. The seller confirmed that this tape recorder was working fine when I made enquiries about it before deciding to bid for it, but upon receiving it this morning, found that the play, rewind and fast forward doesn't work. I contacted the seller by email and have also spoken to him on the phone, and he can't understand why it's not working. He suggested turning the recorder on, setting it to either play or fast forward, and turning the spool with my finger to see what happened. Well,nothing happened. He has apologised about this situation and has suggested taking it to a repair shop for them to have a look at it. I'm sure it's only something minor. As I'm a female, I'm not technically-minded like you guys out there.
I have a question to ask you all, not sure though if you'll be able to help, so let's see. Would anyone happen to know if there is anybody in the Birmingham area who repairs tape recorders?

Here's hoping SOMEBODY will be able to help and advise me.
With thanks,
Brummiegal
Old 8th Mar 2006, 6:24 pm   #2
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK141 reel-to-reel tape recorder

Hi Brummiegal

I am in northfield and have repaired a few R-R tape recorders, problem with most grundigs are the belts tend to either stretch or be brittle...

Send me a private message if you want to pop it over for me to look at while you wait..

Andi
Old 8th Mar 2006, 6:26 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm not in the Brum area so I can't directly help but I know there are several competent guys up your way and I'm sure they'll reply.

Can you do some very simple checks first and give us some more information to work on. Does anything light up when you switch it on? If not, check the mains plug and fuse. Assuming something does light up, when you press play/wind/rewind what, if anything, moves?

There is this vague feeling that you might be having your leg pulled by the vendor.

Please don't dismiss yourself as a female. We may not have many of you in the forum but most of those that we do have are very competent indeed and there are many males who are complete novices.

PS: Andi got his message sent while I was still writing mine. My prediction was correct.
Old 8th Mar 2006, 6:41 pm   #4
Courtney Louise
Octode

Competent Now theres a first, dont let My boss hear you calling me names

Andi
Old 8th Mar 2006, 7:34 pm   #5
Brummiegal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi PPPPenguin,

Thanks for the welcome.

When I turn on the tape recorder, the lights are on which means I have power and the plug and wires are okay. When I turn the lever to rewind, play or rewind, nothing moves at all.

Brummiegal
Old 8th Mar 2006, 7:42 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Can you hear the motor running?
Old 8th Mar 2006, 7:43 pm   #7
paulsherwin

As Jarl says, the rubber belts are probably knackered. It doesn't seem likely that this would have happened suddenly and it's possible the seller means it worked the last time he used it, maybe 20 years ago

It's difficult to be sure what's going on without having a look though. Hopefully a forum member local to you will be able to help.

Best regards, Paul
Old 8th Mar 2006, 8:35 pm   #8
Roy
Hexode

The fast wind/rewind on this machine is driven direct from the motor - no belts involved - so the symptoms suggest that the motor is jammed. The flywheel is belt driven, however.

The machine could have suffered a slight shock during transport which has caused the bearings to become misaligned. I believe the motor is the same as, or very similar to, the one described in this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6170

It should respond to realignment and lubrication.

Hope this helps,

Roy
Old 8th Mar 2006, 8:41 pm   #9
Brummiegal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nickthedentist,

When I turn the recorder on, I can hear a slight humming, could that be the motor?

Brummiegal
Old 8th Mar 2006, 8:43 pm   #10
reelguy
Heptode

Just a thought ...........Do you have a tape threaded on the machine? It may be, the auto stop is operating..Try it with a tape and check it is correctly threaded.Some machines do not operate without a tape in place . Also try switching between different speeds.. Hope this may help.. Peter Reelguy
Old 8th Mar 2006, 9:03 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummiegal
Hi Nickthedentist,

When I turn the recorder on, I can hear a slight humming, could that be the motor?

Brummiegal
Yes, but I suppose it could also be from the mains transformer or the speaker.

Roy's advice re. the motor sounds very plausible, and Andi's generous offer shouldn't be overlooked. Shops that will look at ancient equipment like this are virtually non-existent.

Nick
Old 8th Mar 2006, 10:33 pm   #12
Roy
Hexode

The motor and mains transformer are combined in a single unit (rather like some record players), so that's where the hum must be coming from. The meter illumination indicates that the windings are all OK. If the hum is very quiet and there are no other mechanical noises, this more or less confirms that the motor has stalled.
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 2:19 pm   #13
Brummiegal
Retired Dormant Member

To everybody who responded with suggestions and advice regarding my Grundig TK141 reel-to-reel tape recorder which I bought off Ebay and wasn't working upon receipt, I am happy to be able to let you all know that I now have it working. I finally managed to find somebody that repairs them and isn't far from where I live, so I took the machine to him this morning and waited while he fixed it for me. He had to strip the machine right down and found that the motor had completely seized up. He managed to free it up and got it working for me, and even gave the heads, which were quite dirty, a clean, before putting it back together. Needless to say, I am very happy now it finally works and that this repairman has made my day.

A special thank you especially for Andi in Northfield, who kindly offered to take a look at my tape recorder for me while I waited.

Thank you all for being so helpful and co-operative, I appreciate it.

With kind regards,
Brummiegal
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 5:15 pm   #14
Courtney Louise
Octode

I am so glad to hear that you have it sorted

Its nice to know that another machine has survivied into use for another good few years...

Regards

Andi