UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2018, 8:26 pm   #1
jonaldo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beginner looking for a vintage radio

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice on buying a vintage radio. I am completely useless with electrics so I don't want to be restoring them or taking them apart etc. I just want something that looks good, sounds great that I can plug in and really enjoy.

I'm basically wanting to listen to a good sounding radio with great medium wave performance. I grew up listening to the sounds of the 70s and 80s on medium wave, listening to them on my Dad's stereo, and I'd love to recreate that sound. I've tried a few modern radios but I just find that they lack something.

So, I'd like to buy a good vintage radio that looks good but I've got a couple of questions:

Firstly, from what I've read I don't think I'd go wrong with a Roberts or Grundig radio. I love that 'rich' sound on a Grundig so I've looked on ebay but I don't want to buy something that's dangerous to plug in or will set fire! I'm wary of buying on ebay but is there any other online shops or particular sellers that you could recommend?

Secondly (and feel free to suggest other makes if there's some good ones I've missed), is there much difference between a Roberts and Grundig? Bear in mind I'll mainly be on medium wave although will drop onto FM sometimes.

Thirdly, I know there's only a limited number of channels on medium wave. I love the 'golden oldies' channels but I'd also love to listen to some of my own music on medium wave if possible (maybe daft I know) but listening to songs by the Beatles/Eagles/classic rock etc on medium wave just takes me back to being a kid! So, is it possible to get a medium wave transmitter like you can for medium wave at all? Again, I'm a total novice so I'd like something that can plug in and go if you know what I mean!

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a load of silly questions!

Cheers
Jonaldo
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:07 pm   #2
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: Beginner looking for a vintage radio

Hi Jonaldo,
You could try http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/ (I have no connection with this business & have never used their services). They have been in business since 1999.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:15 pm   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Jonaldo. You are right to be wary of buying from online auction sites in the expectation that what you buy is safe to plug in and use straight away. There are bargains to be had but you have to budget for safety checks and some restoration work to be done by a competent person for the reasons you have identified, and to ensure that the radio will work for a reasonable while without the need for further repairs. There are plenty of AM/FM sets around many of which provide a gram input into which you could plug an iPod. Some of these unfortunately have the chassis connected directly to the mains supply ( should be the neutral wire but not guaranteed) and unless you are tech savvy with this type of old technology the "live chassis" models are best avoided. Many radios of the 1950s are fitted with mains transformers including Grundig models which wouldbe better in your case. Otherwise you could look at quality transistor radios such as Roberts or Hacker. Which maker is best? If you ask 2 people you will probably get 5 different answers. The choice us yours. Hopefully someone on this Forum might be prepared to offer you a suitable radio that has been decently restored and will work as it should. Good luck. Cheers, Jerry
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:39 pm   #4
paulsherwin

You don't say if you are looking for a valve or transistor set, static or portable, but from what you say it sounds as if a good 70s transistor set will satisfy your requirements. These need less maintenance than valve sets and there are many fewer safety issues. Look for something like a Grundig Yacht Boy, Concert Boy or Party Boy, a Roberts R606 or R800, or just about anything by Hacker. All these sets have decent MW reception. There are other suitable models too of course, but these are safe bets.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...210_n_210.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi..._boy_1100.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...y_boy_208.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_r606r_60.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_r800r_80.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacker...p38arp_38.html
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:39 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi Jonaldo and welcome.

Quite a few Forum member run flea-power MW transmitters to provide an additional programme source for their radio collections.

For some reason they are known as "Pantry Transmitters". The cupboard under the stairs would not be my first choice to locate one.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:03 pm   #6
jonaldo
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks so much for the replies all, it's really appreciated!

The links have been great and I really like the style of the Grundig/Roberts radios. It reminds me so much of being a kid! I suspect I'll end up wanting a few of these sets though!

From looking at the restoration site, it seems you have to wait until the set you want has been restored before you can buy it (if you get there in time). It looks like the greatest choice is on ebay which isn't surprising. Would it be reasonable to be able to pick up a set from ebay and get it checked out and restored or do the people who do the restoring only work on sets they've picked up?

Is it fair to say that the Grundig sets of the 70s would be fairly 'ok' to plugin to the mains @paulsherwin? I definitely wouldn't want any problems like Jerry (@cathoderay) mentioned - that's exactly the kind of thing I don't want. I want something next to my laptop that sounds great and takes me back in time

@Graham - I took a look at these online and it looks like they are a lot more expensive than the FM transmitters and (maybe). Is there any models you know of that are recommended?

Thanks again!
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:31 pm   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi
I would steer clear of any of the Roberts radios, some were OK but in my opinion (and I have bought and sold few) they are overrated, especially the "revival" ones.
Stay clear of Grundig sets, many suffer from seized tuning capacitors.

Hacker made the best ever sounding radios. I would get one with FM as well as MW & LW, something like these;
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacker..._rp18rp_1.html
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacker_hunter_rp38.html
Or ideally one of these which works on mains and battery.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacker...mbrp_72_m.html
They can sometimes have their problems but are all easily repaired by someone who knows how.

Fully restored ones are not cheep, a decent one can fetch from £50 to £200 and if you are looking for something that sounds just like your dads then I would get a radio the same model as your dads.
The Hacker radios may sound too good, and not authentic enough for you.

By the way there is nothing wrong with buying on Ebay, you get what you pay for. Read the descriptions carefully and study the photos, if you cant see everything ask for more photos.. If the seller says it is fully working and it is faulty or not as described when it arrives, you get your money back, guaranteed by Ebay..

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 17th Sep 2018 at 10:51 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:45 pm   #8
paulsherwin

The Roberts Revival models are modern radios with olde worlde styling. I wouldn't recommend one for MW use (the DAB models don't even have MW coverage).

It is safe to plug a vintage transistor set into the mains if it includes a mains power supply. It may not work but it's very unlikely to be dangerous.

Given your admitted lack of expertise you should only buy a radio from a restorer who can either confirm it is in good working condition or offer a formal warranty. A forum member here may have something suitable. Don't buy a set from an unknown eBay seller as there's a good chance that something will be wrong with it which you won't be able to fix. There are commercial restorers who will fix a faulty radio for you, but this can be expensive as it's a skilled job.

Commercial MW pantry transmitters are relatively expensive because they are a niche product made in very small quantities. A forum member has designed a very low power MW transmitter and sometimes sells it ready assembled for a reasonable price: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=135435
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:04 pm   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It has to be a Hacker!
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:11 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, a Hacker AM/FM model would be ideal. They sound great on AM, but FM is a must if you actually want a choice of listening.

Models RP25 or RP38A would fit the bill nicely.

Someone here will have a working example which they'd be willing to sell you, I'm sure. At a guess, £50 should get you something halfway decent and reliable.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 2:15 pm   #11

I'll second an RP38A https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=47451 great sounding set and very reliable. I use mine every morning for the Today Programme and quite a lot in the evening, a pair of batteries lasts me for over a year. Having FM means you can use a "car" DAB adaptor to get things like Four Extra and the World Service (I use a Sonichi S1000 from Halfords https://www.halfords.com/technology/...-radio-adapter )

Old 18th Sep 2018, 8:30 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jonaldo, if you can wait until Nov, then a trip to the vintage radio bring & buy at Golborne would allow you to see and hear some of the sets mentioned.
Prices are not too high and there are hobbyist there who can advise.

Ed
Old 18th Sep 2018, 9:23 pm   #13
jonaldo
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to offer suggestions!

I had looked at Hackers but had kind of ruled them out as I'd seen some on ebay going for big money.

I was looking for a radio just to sit next to my laptop really and was assuming that as the radios were vintage, they would hammer the batteries so I had ruled out anything that wasn't mains powered. This is why I was particularly worried about plugging something that was plain dangerous!

Can I ask whether the Hacker/Roberts/Grundigs would eat batteries for fun or are they quite reasonable? I am only looking at a few hours per week, nothing too major.

@Ed - that sounds interesting and I'm just down the round in Manchester. I know Golborne quite well having played football there a few years ago! Do you have any dates for the event at all?
Old 19th Sep 2018, 8:06 am   #14
crackle
Rest in Peace

Most vintage transistor radios in good repair will consume far far less than any modern DAB radio. That is why you hardly ever see DAB radios which are truly portable. They were really very efficient on battery power.
A lot of vintage radios work off PP9 batteries which can be sometimes difficult to get hold of but they are available.
You can also adapt them to use the more common AA batteries by fitting AA battery holders.
If you want something not too expensive, these little radios, ITT-KB Tiny 33, or Tiny Super have a surprisingly good quality "big" sound for their size. It should run of batteries for months with just occasional use. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolsterbr_tiny_super.html
Or if you want something a little better still then maybe one of these which also runs of mains. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ittgb_europa.html There are many ITT radios which should fit your requirements.
I have not had any major problems with these early ITT transistor radios, they normally work first time, I know that because I have over 90 of them.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 19th Sep 2018 at 8:15 am.
Old 19th Sep 2018, 8:49 am   #15
cathoderay57
Nonode

The Golborne event is on Sun 11 November but you would either have to join the British Vintage Wireless Society (BVWS) or go as a guest with a Member. Events Diary is here https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/diary.php Cheers, Jerry
Old 19th Sep 2018, 9:23 am   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

Any of the Japanese sets from the mid to late 70's (or a Japanese one badged with a European brand) are likely to be a safe bet, eg Sanyo, Hitachi, Sony. You can find these at car boot sales and house clearance auctions all the time. They're more likely to use C or D batteries (poundland sell them) or a 'figure-8' mains lead.
British transistor radios from the 50s or 60's are likely to be more temperamental if bought 'as found' if indeed they work at all. They may also be battery-only sets. As others have said, batteries last ages compared to modern radios with their microprocessors and flashy displays. Such is progress!
Old 19th Sep 2018, 12:21 pm   #17
PSValves
Pentode

It would be hard to beat a Hacker IMHO. They have quite a following on this forum, which I didn't quite get until I owned one myself (RP38a). Sound quality is really very good indeed - far better than virtually all modern portable radios. There's also a weight and solidity to these sets which is rare to find these days.

Roberts did some nice sets too - I'm a fan of the R600 - but as you'll no doubt read here, they are perhaps not as reliable or well-made as the Hackers of this period. Further, and I think particularly relevant to this forum, they can be difficult to work on. Not directly relevant to your post, but should you need to pay someone to repair your set in the future, maybe worth bearing in mind.
Old 19th Sep 2018, 5:17 pm   #18
mark_in_manc
Octode

There's a shop called Vintage Wireless Company on Cross St in Sale - you might like to have a chat in there if you want to buy something with a guarantee. I've not used them, but they're local-ish to you.
Old 19th Sep 2018, 8:35 pm   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jonaldo, the Goldborne event starts at about 9-30/10, good bacon butties as well as plenty of stalls and live 405 TV demonstrations.
No problems about entry, I or one of the other members will sign you in.

Ed
Old 20th Sep 2018, 10:02 pm   #20
jonaldo
Retired Dormant Member

Just another message to say a big thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. This is a great forum, very knowledgeable. I was a bit apprehensive about posting a 'newbie' question but your suggestions have been great and it's really got me thinking!

There are so many recommendations and from looking at the pictures and looking on YouTube, I won't be buying one.... it will be a couple at least! I think I will have to go for a Hacker as they seem to be regarded as the very best. However, I had never heard of ITT and I really like the look of them as well. The Roberts sets seem quite plentiful and some look great. I am pleased I'm not going to -have- to plug them in either. I still don't think I'll ever get up to speed with the electronics but it's good to know that the batteries will last a long time. I am genuinely envious of those who can restore them!

There really is something about the sound of the old sets that modern equipment just doesn't seem to match. I listen to the radio a fair bit and I've just got used to a rather 'meh' sound. Maybe it's in the mind and partly reminiscing as a kid, I don't know.

However, a few weeks ago in work, a decorator came in to paint a few rooms in our office. I went into one of the rooms he was painting one day to get something and he had an old (late 70s I guess) radio playing and it was tuned into one of the 'golden oldie' stations around Manchester but the sound stopped me stone dead. It was like being 8 again hearing that sound. Such a rich, 'complete' sound but I was so surprised it came from such an old radio! Try as I might on my radios or in the car, nothing came close to it.

I actually decided to go and ask him about the stereo and I was going to see if he'd be up for selling it even though it was full of paint and a real mess! It sounded so good. I went back after the weekend and he'd gone so I never got to even know what the name of the set was. That's how I ended up here!

@Ed that's really kind of you, very much appreciated!
Closed Thread