UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:13 am   #41
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto..

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Oh thank you. So for example, I connected the red and blue to the RH pins, I solder these to the RH connector on the tag card, The the same for Black and Yellow on the LH?

Thanks
If you can, post a photo of the underneath of the record deck that's currently fitted to your record player showing the tag strip etc.

Lawrence.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 4:00 pm   #42
tracypaper
Octode

If you look at the picture in post 36 and your tag strip is the same then all you need to do is connect a wire from the red wire tag to the yellow wire tag and job done. The black and blue wires are already connected together at the other end of the tag strip via the two white cables.
Obviously if the black and blue wires are not connected together then they need to be.
Hope this helps.
Gaz.

Last edited by tracypaper; 17th Sep 2018 at 4:05 pm. Reason: More detail
Old 17th Sep 2018, 7:29 pm   #43
19Seventy7
Octode

Thanks for the replies.

This may be a really stupid question, but could I just do trial and error with the connectors? Meaning can I just connect them all and see if it works as I don't have any circlip tools and there are plenty of tiny circlips that I cannot remove with anything.

Would fixing the wrong wires to wrong pin fry an amp, the cartridge or do damage in any other way?

Thanks
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:39 pm   #44
Michael Maurice

That method won't do any damage to either cartridge or amplifier, but why experiment when quite a few people have told you exactly how the connections should be made!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:40 pm   #45
leslie5555
Heptode

And what have the circlips got to do with bridging the tag strip?
Old 17th Sep 2018, 11:13 pm   #46
19Seventy7
Octode

Yes I know what they said but I dont have a soldering kit and I thought I can still get it done without removing the deck and breaking connections.

As for the circlips, I dont know why I thought it, but I just had a moment and thought that you needed to take all the cogs and such off under the platter... ignore that reply.

Thanks for the replies

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 17th Sep 2018 at 11:19 pm.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 7:28 am   #47
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

This may be a really stupid question, but could I just do trial and error with the connectors?

Thanks
Well, if you ignore the sound advice already offered, you may end up thinking you have got eventually got good sound, but may only actually be hearing just one of the 2 channels i.e. without them being properly summed. You can't take short cuts when doing this kind of work.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 9:51 am   #48
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Yes I know what they said but I dont have a soldering kit and I thought I can still get it done without removing the deck and breaking connections.
If you want to do the job properly and learn something along the way then I would highly recommend reading and working your way through this Sticky Thread by Darren-UK.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75401

Helped me enormously when I was restoring my Dansette "Monarch" along with the expert advice, guidance and patience from other Forum members.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 11:26 am   #49
John10b
Nonode

Hi Insertnamehere I really think you should take the advice given to you and do some reading it will be well worth your time. I do realise you come from a different generation to most of us and if you are anything like my grandchildren who tend to ignore instructions and press all the buttons etc available and find how things work that way, in this case you must followe guidelines given to you already by forum members, it’s for your good and safety. All the best.
John
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:57 pm   #50
tracypaper
Octode

If you intend to service more than one record player and I think you will be as you have bought others then a small one off investment in a Soldering iron and some solder will be a massive aid to you, I use a 25 watt version which to me, just gives me enough umph to de-solder the earth shields from chassis, some may argue this is too high for solder boards and sometimes it is as the tracks lift from the board, but practice enough and things will only get better.
Gaz.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 6:24 pm   #51
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay thank you, I will read that thread now.

Hi john, yes that does sound like me to just do things by trial and error, I just struggle with being told what to do (I don't want to go into as to why) and I feel a lot less pressured and enjoy things doing it my way, I mean I do follow instructions but I just like to see other ways, too.

I will look into soldering irons as I enjoy restoring these players and I suppose I do need them.

Thanks for replying.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 6:41 pm   #52
John10b
Nonode

Hi if you enjoy doing things your way that’s fine but do take care particularly when dealing with Mains operated stuff. Have fun.
John
Old 18th Sep 2018, 6:44 pm   #53
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh yeah I do, nothing is ever left plugged in when I'm working on it. If I need to test it, I will plug it in and test it, never work on it whilst plugged in. I also have a set of insulated tools too. I use these just be to extra careful.

Thanks
Old 18th Sep 2018, 7:16 pm   #54
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The previous Post makes no sense!

Please do take care when working on mains operated record players when they are plugged in. Some have "live" chassis.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 7:38 pm   #55
tracypaper
Octode

Quote:

Hi john, yes that does sound like me to just do things by trial and error, I just struggle with being told what to do (I don't want to go into as to why)
Don't think of it as being told what to do but how to do what you want to achieve.
Gaz.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 8:25 pm   #56
Station X

I don't like being told what to do either, but I'm happy to receive advice and give it. Of course advice is often ignored, especially by those who'll change very component in a set or player rather than take a voltage reading.

I can't imagine not having a test meter and a soldering iron. Electrical and electronic faults are frequently much easier to fix than mechanical ones.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 9:11 pm   #57
19Seventy7
Octode

I'm very awkward in things like that, as some of you may have noticed, I mean I am happy to be given advice, but it's just sometimes I don't feel like that's what would work for me, etc.

i don't have a test meter but i think i should get one, as i wont be as lucky as i have been where most components work, but need some slight work.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 9:33 pm   #58
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Dansette Conquest Auto Cartridge reconnecting.

As some of you may know, I am currently restoring a Dansette Conquest Auto, which needed a new cartridge. I have bought one and it arrived today.

I of course couldn't wait to install it so I got to work, however the connectors and cartridge wires (if that's what they're called) had become loose on two wires. I obviously went to reattach the wires to the connectors which plug onto the pins of the cartridge, however, the wire almost crumbles away.

Would it be best to take the metal connectors out of the plastic, solder the wire to the connector, allow it to set, and then replace the metal connector in the plastic protector? (This is how I would do it, but I don't know if this is the best way.)
Old 25th Sep 2018, 12:44 pm   #59
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's the only way logically. The pickup wiring is necessarily thin, hence fragile. Be careful, the connector tags easily flood with solder if you rush things. The plastic sleeves aren't important, just neater and easier to grip. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to solder directly to the cartridge pins!
Old 25th Sep 2018, 1:46 pm   #60
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

What I have found helpful when soldering pickup tags to leads is to first put the tags on a known to be faulty cartridge. Sometimes, with care, the leads are long enough to allow said faulty cart. to be supported clear of the arm. This makes soldering the wires to the tags less of a fiddle, though I know it's not always practical to do this.
Closed Thread