UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Apr 2017, 3:18 pm   #1
domm1kta
Triode

Default HRO what vintage antenna?

Hi all,

Maybe a daft question...

Got an event coming up and thought I'd ask.

Here's a question for some. What antenna with an old HRO (WWII vintage)?
I had thought about a 600 ohm feed to a fan dipole or cage maybe might look retro as well as work well if the range of frequencies were present or perhaps an early 1946 version of a G5RV perhaps?

As I sit in the office waiting for somethign to run wondering "What antenna should I use with my vintage HRO set, if using any of the B, C or D (7-14, 3.5-7 or 1.7-4MHz) coil sets"? I do have the E(?)900KHz to 2Mhz coil set as well and often tune into BBC on 909 (ish) when in shack when not operating. The 'proper' wooden coil boxes have long gone so they are kept in an old tomato box, horror the purists say!
I keep meaning to find an old packing case using boxwood that could be used and remake them, maybe visit local vintage building reclaim yard?

I'm pretty sure mine sat for years connected up to a simple long wire and a balun which is hardly ideal to get the best performance. There was a note with it that said there were two antennas and you connected one or other based on the coil set being used but no details. I thought it might be a bit of fun to make something more suitable. Yes I know you could connect all manner of modern resonant antennas to it depending on the band pack being used but interested in ideas that might seem a bit more 'authentic'.

There is some drift on turn on from cold but it is pretty small and the RX is amazing given the age. (I have had two of these one was well restored but I don't have that now this one I did myself, cleaned up the chassis, rewired, revalved and swapped all the R & C etc (for modern/look a likes so 'safe to use'). The power supply was homebrew as never had a "DogHouse" one.

Dom

M1KTA
Old 24th Apr 2017, 3:25 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HRO what vintage antenna?

"Double Zepp" aka Doublet. Open wire feeder, nice ceramic spacers and a homebrew low power z-match as ATU? Lots of period charm

David GM4ZNX
Old 24th Apr 2017, 6:06 pm   #3
domm1kta
Triode

Thanks David,

The Z match better make up a nice looking box for it.

Dom
M1KTA
Old 25th Apr 2017, 6:48 am   #4
G4YVM David
Heptode

I bought 16mm oval conduit from B and Q for my spacers. They look like ceramics but are a fraction of weight and cost.

Break...David, did we work each ither the other day on cw??

D
Old 25th Apr 2017, 7:02 am   #5

Based on this http://www.wirelesswaffle.com/index....y070209-160601 for no tune amateur band working.

Old 25th Apr 2017, 7:57 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

If it's for an event, then maybe an open format tuner would look more interesting than one hidden in a box, Dom.

Hi David, I don't think that could have been me. I'm really an SWL and rarely wade in, my last HF transmission in the log was last year. Even JOTA didn't happen for us last year. The scout group booked for the event at the Scottish scout HQ decided to take a trip into Edinburgh instead.

David
Old 25th Apr 2017, 9:47 am   #7
Keith
Heptode

I agree - much nicer to have the innards on display...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATU_cl_33.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	141510  
Closed Thread