UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2006, 12:03 am   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Is it OK to scrap this?

Rescued from my local tip for £3. No identifying marks other than 'studio' on the deck. I was surprised to see it had 3 motors but I know nothing about reel to reel although I did own an Akai 4000 in my youth. Not powered it up as it would need the caps reforming but it looks lightly used.

If I were to guess I would say it is a kit from the late 50's? I am looking for someone to ease my sense of guilt - it has some valves I need for radios and the PSU looks useful too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reel to reel top.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	3325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reel to reel insides.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	3326  
Old 8th Apr 2006, 12:42 am   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Is it OK to scrap this?

You knever know.............it might be the last one of it's kind in the world.......
Old 8th Apr 2006, 8:54 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I would restore and keep/sell it, but that is just my opinion.

The tape deck is the Collaro Studio - a much better deck than the usual BSR TD1/TD2, and easy to restore.
Old 8th Apr 2006, 11:27 am   #4
Brased
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
The tape deck is the Collaro Studio - a much better deck than the usual BSR TD1/TD2, and easy to restore.
The Collaro deck was sold separately and so was used for a lot of home constructed tape recorders. Mullard produced a booklet with a design for the electronics.

Some companies produced kits. I assembled one from Martinkit (I think that was the name) about 1960 which included everything except the deck and just involved making a few connections as the amplifier, etc were preassembled on a pcb. It was a neat result with its vinyl covered case and served for a few years until I could afford a Tandberg 12. I don't think there was any badge to indicate the source of the kit.

Edward
Old 8th Apr 2006, 5:58 pm   #5
nokia2010
Retired Dormant Member

Don't scrap it! It's cool!
Give power to the tubes!
Old 8th Apr 2006, 6:07 pm   #6
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Yes Yes & Yes. As mentioned it is the Collaro Studio deck, if it has been unused & in the tip for any length of time forget it. It is not a deck of any repute & unless you are desperate for something to do tip it back.

Doffery
Old 8th Apr 2006, 8:06 pm   #7
reelguy
Heptode

It looks in clean condition and I would have a go at restoring it..
It may only need a good clean and a small drop of oil.
Check the rubber idlers and pinch wheel, If ok restore it . If not dont waste time on it. Just my opinion A few manufacturers such as Elizabethan used this deck as it had three speeds and sometimes had 4 track heads fitted..
Peter Reelguy
{ After all, It is something to play with}
Old 8th Apr 2006, 8:13 pm   #8
Steve_P
Dekatron

Those decks work well when they do work, but they do have what I call Collaro Motor Syndrome. Not as bad as others, though. They can sometimes be stripped and repaired if you've got time! They are good and if you get them running too well, the rewind and FF motors can break the sound barrier! Well, one of mine did!

The other thing to watch is the brakes. They are made of, if memory serves, Petersham. You can adjust them position wise if its not already been done.

Don't scrap ANYTHING - that's my view.

Need I say check the electronics before you power it up?

Cheers,

Steve_P
Old 8th Apr 2006, 10:12 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

The parts are of far more use than the whole - It's not even a particularly good transport !
Be bold, and use the parts for something YOU will enjoy keeping !!
Andy
Old 8th Apr 2006, 10:56 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Unless any of the people who are against scrapping it want to offer it a good home.......

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 9th Apr 2006, 10:36 am   #11
PJL
Dekatron

Thanks everyone. It looked like a kit to me and I think 'brased' is exactly right - the electronics were pre-assembled.

If anyone is interested as a complete unit let me know. There are a few faults: One knob on the deck requires repair, the head cover has the clip missing/broken on one side, a group of small drill holes next to the deck, a very small tear to the rexine on the outer. Otherwise it is in good condition and looks to have been stored dry.

The deck only or parts from the deck I am happy to send for the cost of postage.
Old 10th Apr 2006, 1:16 pm   #12
PJL
Dekatron

Well, you've all missed your chance.

The motors still run silently and the idler and drive rubber are still good so I have decided to have a go myself. The heads are pretty worn but I guess it will still work and I am not exactly expecting HIFI!

Is there a lifestyle course available on "Learing how to throw things away"?
Old 10th Apr 2006, 7:23 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL
Is there a lifestyle course available on "Learing how to throw things away"?
Many of my favourite pieces of hifi etc. have been things I've scavenged with the intention of pulling them apart for bits, but then decided to try out just for fun - and then realised how nice they actually are. So, I sympathise with you

Nick.
Closed Thread