UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2018, 8:11 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Hitachi SAR-610 Turntable. Belt specification.

Speaking of Turntable belts, does anyone know the exact dimensions, including thickness, of the belt used on the Hitachi SAR-610 Turntable? I have now been playing an LP for maybe 15 minutes and there is zero drift on the strobe, using what, AFAIK, is the original belt fitted to this turntable, which is fitted to a N.O.S. SDT-400 Music Centre.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 2nd Jul 2018 at 8:28 am.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 8:44 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi SAR-610 Turntable. Belt specification.

Exact dimensions don't seem to be mentioned in user or service manuals. All you might get in a manual is to use "Part No. xxxx". The replacement may even be different to the original factory fitted belt if the manufacturer has made any changes to the material or size during production. It means you should always get the best belt for the job.
Replacement belts available today some 30-60 years later won't be 'exact' and need to be fitted using experience as to whether the tension is 'about right' as no precise details exist.
There may be a few exceptions where the manufacturer still exists and makes belts available for old models but even then, with the progress in manufacturing and materials, it's probable even those will be slightly different, not to mention the price.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 9:15 am   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'm inclined to leave the turntable as it is. Listening to familiar records , and performing speed checks confirms that there is negligible drift over time.
Old 8th Jul 2018, 3:39 am   #4
FrankB
Heptode

This should help:
http://russellind.com/client/download/PRB_Belt_XRef.pdf
Old 8th Jul 2018, 8:38 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

A comprehensive list, Frank, but neither the SAR-610, nor the SDT400 Music Centre to which the Turntable is fitted appear to be mentioned in the lists.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 8:11 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

If it's the model I'm thinking of, the microswitches which are responsible for speed change and on/off are a constant source of trouble, and would benefit from replacement IMHO.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 8:47 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'll check those, Nick, but so far, the turntable has been working perfectly on both speeds. The SDT-400 is in a wood-finish cabinet, with top-loading cassette deck, and several MC Meters for tuning and other indications. It dates from the late 70s.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 9:32 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes Mike, I had one once. Bizarrely, one illuminated MC meter for each waveband's frequency + the rest, a bit "blingy" to say the least, although the turntable's bright neon strobe light and beautifully-machined strobe markings on the platter looked lovely! The arm was also very nicely finished and robust.

Nice machines in terms of performance of and build quality, but like the aforementioned microswitches, the amp's pushbutton input selectors were always a source of trouble.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 9th Jul 2018 at 9:53 am.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 10:15 am   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The input push-button selectors are sometimes intermittent on this one, Nick, though I'm told it was 'New old Stock', and hardly used. It belongs to fellow forum member Mike Maguire, btw. Basically it needed new belts on the cassette deck (the originals had turned to sticky 'goo'), but is otherwise in working order.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 10:37 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm sure I replaced the cassette and turntable belts with generic ones from CPC and all worked well, but that was 25 years ago when their range was much more extensive.
Closed Thread