UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2018, 7:37 pm   #1
Mogmonster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Acos Cartridge mount damage

Hi there,
This is my first post ever in a forum so please correct me if I am doing things wrong!
I recently purchased a used Dansette Tempo with Garrard Slimline deck in need of a little Tlc. The ACOS GP91-3sc cartridge is hanging down and it appears the plastic mount is broken. Can anyone tell me if these are obtainable, if not, what recommended replacement cartridge could I obtain. I listen to 50s-60s 45s & LPs, many being stereo.
Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank You
Old 27th Jun 2018, 8:39 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Acos Cartridge mount damage

Hello and welcome.

I think you mean "Autoslim"

Post a pic of the damaged cartridge mount etc. please. I think the best course of action, assuming the cartridge itself is ok, would be to attempt to mend the mount.

Nick.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 7:17 am   #3
John10b
Nonode

Hi
You can get them from “Get the Needle” take a look last time I looked they were £8.50, but as Nick said try and repair.
Cheers
John
Old 28th Jun 2018, 9:00 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Don't even think about about a replacement cartridge, you'll have great difficulty in ever finding one! The Acos GP91-3SC (SC = stereo-compatible) is the ideal cartridge for your "Tempo" and is worth it's weight in gold. Another option is to search online for a failed Acos GP9x (GP91,93,94) series cartridge in its mount. These dead cartridges are often sold for just their mountings or their used styli - or in the hope that they might even be repaired.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 9:25 am   #5
John10b
Nonode

Further to my previous post.
I have just replaced cartridges on Dansette Tempo, I used HTC8 mono high output, it comes complete with mounting bracket and connectors.
I got it from Dansette.com it cost £35, and works well.
Cheers
John
Old 28th Jun 2018, 10:28 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, it may work after a fashion, but that cartridge is not suitable to play Stereo LPs.
It will permanently damage them!
So use your player for 78s, old Mono LPs and 45s. The Acos GP91-3sc is far more approrpriate.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 12:17 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

High output stereo compatible mono cartridges like the one in your player are now unobtainable.

Are you absolutely sure that the cartridge you have is still working - stroke the stylus gently with your finger with the volume turned right up and listen for the 'noise'!

Avoid touching the connectors on the rear of the cartridge with your fingers, as some of these old players have a live chassis with no isolation to the cartridge connectors. You can use an insulated screwdriver to touch the connectors to check for a 'buzz' from the speaker, again with the volume turned up.

Both of the above checks will confirm that the cartridge and amplifier are at least basically working.

As far as I know, the cartridge that John mentions above is the same as the old TC8, which is NOT stereo compatible and will ruin your stereo records, seeing as you say that you'll be playing some that are stereo.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 1:58 pm   #8
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

…. Well, as it so happens as part of the de-clutter of the house prior to the move I recently found a box of cartridge bits, which has a couple of mounting brackets for the GP91 in said box.

If it transpires your cartridge is OK and you still in need of a bracket and nothing else turns-up nearer your welcome to one of the brackets for the cost of postage.

Regards
Terry
Old 28th Jun 2018, 2:24 pm   #9
John10b
Nonode

As Edward correctly states the cartridge I suggested is only for playing mono records.
The Tempo is a mono player and in its day was used for that purpose. The cartridge is not Stereo compatible, I’ve checked the box, so it’s not advisable to play your stereo records.
After saying that tests have been carried out to see how much damage a non Stereo compatible cartridge will do to a Stereo records and it was found that providing the tracking weight was not excessive only slight damage was done! But it’s a risk you take and how much you value your Stereo records.
Just for info the cartridge performs very well in the Tempo and I find it quite acceptable.
Cheers
John
Old 28th Jun 2018, 8:10 pm   #10
Mogmonster
Retired Dormant Member

Hi everyone,
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my post, I did indeed mean 'autoslim.' I will check the cartridge as soon as I get the chance, as it seems that trying to keep this is the best way to go considering the records I want to play. I will update over the weekend, thanks again!
Old 7th Jul 2018, 9:41 am   #11
Mogmonster
Retired Dormant Member

Ok, I thought that I would update my post. The cartridge is working and I thanks to Terry (valvepower) I have now installed a new clip. A new stylus was purchased from 'get the needle' (Thanks John) I now have a great sounding Tempo that I can cosmetically fettle to my hearts content.
Thanks again everyone
Rupert
Old 7th Jul 2018, 5:14 pm   #12
John10b
Nonode

Glad all is well, just as a matter of interest, i recovered the cabinet with Rexine, the old one was in a bad way.
Cheers
John
Old 8th Jul 2018, 8:32 pm   #13
Valvepower
Octode

Hi Rupert,

That's great news.

It does the 'ole heart some good to hear something I'd dug out of the house as part of the tidy is doing some good.

Terry

Last edited by Valvepower; 8th Jul 2018 at 8:33 pm. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread