UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2020, 11:11 pm   #41
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Default Re: My next project - the first French transistor radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Not convinced about your 150K but the higher voltages means the base currents are closer to 300uA. What you are left with is a base leakage problem on one or more of the transistors so probably not worth pursuing if they are original.
150K could be wrong it is not very clear, next time I have the chassis out of the case (not a quick or easy task) I'll check out R2, I agree 150K seems somewhat unlikely. All the transistors are original and I would imagine totally impossible to find replacements new or used, so I would be very reluctant to replace any.

I did remove Q3 at one stage and while out of the set I photographed it. All the transistors are made by CSF and the only difference in markings is the letter on top which is A to F depending on function. That particular transistor tested OK, photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solistor-Transistor-s.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	198418  

Last edited by Vintage_RC; 4th Feb 2020 at 11:25 pm. Reason: photo added
Old 5th Feb 2020, 5:27 pm   #42
Vintage_RC
Heptode

The batteries for the Solistor Transistor 8 comprised three 4.5V flat batteries and were inserted in the bottom of the set. There is an arrangement of spring clips into which the battery terminals are inserted. These batteries are getting harder to find and are expensive so I have squeezed in three 3xAA battery boxes and they are wired to the PCB as I didn't want to solder directly to the clips. The battery box cover is aluminium and has an unusual method of attachment, to remove you slide the cover in either direction until the tongue is released and then you slide the other way to remove it. I have attached some pictures which should make all this clearer (I have since removed the rogue red wire).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My-Solistor4-s.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	198468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solistor-Batteries-s.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	198469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solistor-Battery-Cover-s.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	198470  
Old 6th Feb 2020, 12:58 pm   #43
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Thanks to a gentleman in France I now have a scan of the article in the magazine Toute La Radio (All Radio) for Dec 1956 introducing the first commercial French transistor radio, the Solistor Transistor 8. For anyone who might be interested I have put together a pdf file containing the original article and my translation plus a few extra notes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toute La Radio article issue 211 Dec 1956.pdf (425.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 11th Feb 2020, 8:01 pm   #44
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Further to the above article in Toute La Radio, further research has turned up a much longer feature about the Solistor in the magazine Le Haut-Parleur (The Speaker) also in their Dec 1956 issue and also on the front cover. It is evident from this article that the arrival of this radio was regarded as a very significant event, it makes an interesting read. Once again I have put together a pdf file which includes the original article and my translation of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Le Haut-Parleur986b.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	198834  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Le Haut-Parleur 986 Dec 1956.pdf (1.13 MB, 58 views)
Old 11th Feb 2020, 10:08 pm   #45
julie_m
Dekatron

I like how they were careful to qualify it as the first mass-produced set with transistors and printed wiring!

It conjures up images of a mob of indignant French experimenters descending on the offices of the paper, clutching their own hand-made transistor radios and demanding to be acknowledged as the real first in France!
Old 12th Feb 2020, 12:02 pm   #46
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Yes there is indeed a very careful choice of words. As well as home made sets, there was in fact another French transistor radio released in 1956 but it didn't use French made transistors so it appears that it wasn't regarded as a proper French set.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 11:18 pm   #47
weanedontubes
Triode

Some info here if you have not already found it.
Regards.
David.
https://www.doctsf.com/grandlivre/pr...fmonm=solistor
Old 21st Feb 2020, 9:05 pm   #48
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I had found that link David but thanks for posting.