UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 30th Nov 2023, 10:37 am   #21
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Re: High street component shops UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I think Hardings in Cheltenham is still going, though haven’t been there for years. It used to sell valves aerials, connectors and electronic components, though I don’t know if they have changed to more domestic electrical white goods type components.

Christopher Capener
Yep - Norman [Father] and Stephen [Son] are still offering a very personal and informative service. They continue to sell anything from components, soldering kit, leads and second-hand test gear through to new domestic items [light bulbs/kettle elements] and the odd old item of audio equipment.
Old 30th Nov 2023, 12:43 pm   #22
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I think Hardings in Cheltenham is still going, though haven’t been there for years. It used to sell valves aerials, connectors and electronic components, though I don’t know if they have changed to more domestic electrical white goods type components.

Christopher Capener
Yep - Norman [Father] and Stephen [Son] are still offering a very personal and informative service. They continue to sell anything from components, soldering kit, leads and second-hand test gear through to new domestic items [light bulbs/kettle elements] and the odd old item of audio equipment.
Its a fab little shop , i go in from time to time myself , amazingly i dont think they have an online presence still apart from the odd Yell advert.
Old 30th Nov 2023, 1:15 pm   #23
Scimitar
Heptode

Well as of today, another one bites the dust! Due to retirement, the shop will be closing tomorrow and only open when I have things to do in the workshop, or by appointment. Works van is up for sale shortly and when that has gone, there will be no more aerial works either.

There is quite a lot of redundant stock here that I will need to dispose of, even some RISC PCs that I have unearthed. Also the one I use as a network CID server will be sold off, most likely it will appear on Ebay.

I contacted a recycling company and offered them loads of old PC IT equipment, but didn't even get the courtesy of a response.

Sadly, this type of business has no appeal to younger types, so it wasn't viable to sell it on, satellite and aerial trades are on their last legs due to the streaming revolution. TV sales can't compete with box shifters and few people seem to value personal service and good advice nowadays.

AJL Electronics
134-136 Bristol Road
Gloucester
GL1 5SR.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 12:44 pm   #24
Malcolm T
Hexode

Well i have had a cruise around various suppliers and some other emporiums and the prices that are being charged for what I would call common components is way beyond the reasonable I'm horrified, don't know how they stay in business.
Malcolm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 1:22 pm   #25
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Anyone remember Gee's in Mill Road Cambridge? Sad that the shop burnt down in 2019 and don't suppose it ever came back.

First used them in 1976 when I moved to Cambridge but must admit that eBay is now my 'go-to' supplier for odd components as there's really no alternative here in Suffolk. Even if there were, the time and cost of a drive and parking just to find that they're out of stock of a particular part makes it pretty unattractive.

I used CPC a lot when I was building our local radio studios, but their minimum order charges now made them and RS uneconomic for a few diodes or capacitors, whilst eBay traders like Bright Components with free 3-day postage are easiest.

S
Sergeauckland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 1:30 pm   #26
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Well as of today, another one bites the dust! Due to retirement, the shop will be closing tomorrow and only open when I have things to do in the workshop, or by appointment. Works van is up for sale shortly and when that has gone, there will be no more aerial works either.

There is quite a lot of redundant stock here that I will need to dispose of, even some RISC PCs that I have unearthed. Also the one I use as a network CID server will be sold off, most likely it will appear on Ebay.

I contacted a recycling company and offered them loads of old PC IT equipment, but didn't even get the courtesy of a response.

Sadly, this type of business has no appeal to younger types, so it wasn't viable to sell it on, satellite and aerial trades are on their last legs due to the streaming revolution. TV sales can't compete with box shifters and few people seem to value personal service and good advice nowadays.

AJL Electronics
134-136 Bristol Road
Gloucester
GL1 5SR.
Will be sad to see you go,
You have been there many years, I've had a few bits n bobs off you over the years including my first digital aerial .
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 5:48 pm   #27
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
Anyone remember Gee's in Mill Road Cambridge? Sad that the shop burnt down in 2019 and don't suppose it ever came back.
Oh yes. I have some lovely memories of getting all sorts of obscure bits there. Things like 54xx TTL chips.

I found it a little amusing when I bought some high-speed reed relays from them. Well, the shop was 'H Gee', and Hg is of course the symbol for mercury, used in said relays...
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 9:12 pm   #28
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm T View Post
Well i have had a cruise around various suppliers and some other emporiums and the prices that are being charged for what I would call common components is way beyond the reasonable I'm horrified, don't know how they stay in business.
But, like in my current post about components, a 1meg pot for 99p including vat and delivery on ebay? How is that unreasonable, considering 75p for sending just a single xmas card second class?! Or, £1.55 if it it exceeds 2.5 cm thickness?
With auction fees taken into account, the pot can only be 5p or so.
Rob
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 10:55 pm   #29
VT FUSE
Hexode

Hardings in Cheltenham do have an eBay presence and send out items very promptly and have a good relationship with customers

Rob, regarding potentiometers, some such as Colvern 10K wirewound are becoming scarce and these are useful for applications like my ACO VCM Mk 3 & 4.
I buy various pot's throughout the year and can only guess at the quality and robustness of the cheap ones advertised.
Mike
VT FUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2023, 3:55 am   #30
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambridgeWorks View Post
But, like in my current post about components, a 1meg pot for 99p including vat and delivery on ebay? How is that unreasonable, considering 75p for sending just a single xmas card second class?! Or, £1.55 if it it exceeds 2.5 cm thickness?
With auction fees taken into account, the pot can only be 5p or so.
Rob
I just did a 1meg pot search and the cheapest was over three pounds. I tend to look askance at things like that which look too good to be true - I know there is a subsidy that makes it cheaper for Chinese sellers to send to the UK than UK sellers to post within the UK, so I do my best to ensure I don't buy from dropshippers/resellers. I usually end up going to ESR or one of the big online shops (no component supplier high street shops here) if I can't find an eBay seller who appears genuine.

I have been trying to get things on here first actually - there have been a lot of posts recently from members wanting to know what to do with excess stock built up over years, so there's something nice about helping the circular economy in that sense rather than buying new.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2023, 8:04 pm   #31
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingpeakin View Post
Unrelated in a way but I was lucky enough to work in Barcelona earlier this year and several times I was saved by Diotronic, a real old school shop that did sell raspberry things but also power supplies, connectors, MOSFETs and was staffed by nice people in white lab coats with loads of drawers of components, who mknew what they were selling and what they had in store that would do what you wanted.
Ging
Thanks a useful one to stash away, I occasionally work on yachts in MB92 it may come in useful one day

Fred
dodgy-dxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2023, 10:49 am   #32
arjoll
Dekatron

I guess that we're quite lucky on this side of the world, Jaycar still seems to be going strong.
arjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2023, 11:16 am   #33
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
By charging those prices. Need is must, business not sustainable otherwise.
Old 6th Dec 2023, 6:16 pm   #34
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
By charging those prices. Need is must, business not sustainable otherwise.
Indeed. The likes of Tandy/RS, Maplin etc. went under, along with almost all of the small shops selling low-value parts, because there was no enduring business-case for them to continue.

You need to sell a hell of a lot of fuses/diodes/resistors/capacitors/small-parts to cover the costs of running a shop, even if the components part of shop is cross-subsidised by also selling radio-controlled model cars, disco-lights and other tat.

[I once joked that the cost of a paper bag to put the parts in probably wiped out any profit made on the parts]
Old 6th Dec 2023, 7:17 pm   #35
electronicskip
Nonode

Tandy Online seem to sell quite a lot of components, even down to a few valves nowadays although nothing like the original Tandy shops of course.
Old 6th Dec 2023, 7:35 pm   #36
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Tandy Online seem to sell quite a lot of components, even down to a few valves nowadays although nothing like the original Tandy shops of course.
Yes but they're not having to pay business-rates/heating/insurance/utilities-bills and minimum-wage-salaries [along with National Insurance and pension contributions] for hundreds of stores.

One central warehouse, perhaps a couple of staff doing the order-fulfilment. That makes sense.
Old 26th Dec 2023, 6:25 pm   #37
Sparky67
Heptode

If you are local or are passing you can collect an order from Bitsbox in Olton as well as using their very efficient mail-order option, although there is a small charge for a non-postage visit to cover the payment handler's fee.
Sparky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2023, 9:47 pm   #38
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

I think it would be a rather nice and helpful addition if a new category or sub category listing component suppliers in the UK was added. Is there one that I have missed?
Times are hard for small business's and they need all the help they can get.
For example, I discovered two shops/outlets in this thread who have some cracking stuff that I hadn't previously heard of.
Old 28th Dec 2023, 12:39 am   #39
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
I guess that we're quite lucky on this side of the world, Jaycar still seems to be going strong.
It's nice to know that you have Jaycar but, having looked at the website, Jacar seems to be a bit like Tandy's or Maplins; I'm not sure they are quite the same as the lovely quirky electronics and radio shops that we are so sorely missing on this thread.

Going back to my schooldays in Manchester it seems like there were loads of 'em, Shudehill had several (can't remember any names but can see 'em in my mind's eye) and of course there was the fantastic Mazel's radio sort of across and down from Picadilly station.

Ahh, happy days.

Steve.
Old 28th Dec 2023, 10:25 pm   #40
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Post #38
"I think it would be a rather nice and helpful addition if a new category or sub category listing component suppliers in the UK was added. Is there one that I have missed?"

Taking that a step further, I imagine there are a lot of us on here that have medium to large quantities of various types of components, spares and equipment they are prepared to dispose of, for an agreed price?
A section where members could post JUST the range and type of items they have available to offer to other members might be very appreciated, by buyers and sellers alike.
Communication being direct between both parties by PM.
Just like the restoration and repair services offered section. That is really business advertising, surely?

Unfortunately this might be in direct conflict with the spirit of this forum, as only limited for sale posts are usually acceptable, and trading not being the purpose of membership of the forum, nor turning it into a marketplace for disposal of quantities of personal items on a regular basis.
Maybe something for the mods to consider?

In my case, I have quite an assortment of items, some singly, some in the 100s or more. Just sitting there as it takes a lot of time and trouble to sell by the likes of ebay and to be honest, I have little interest in what I have, except the valuable valves and transformers. Though my daughter says she views it ALL as junk destined for the skip upon my demise!

Not so long ago I took some time to find a very unusual part for a fellow member's wanted request, but never received a decision on whether still wanted after I had replied saying it was available......I never even got to the stage of naming a price as it seemed the wanted party had disappeared. I have no idea where I put it and to be honest don't care anymore!
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 28th Dec 2023 at 10:33 pm. Reason: Typo and addition
CambridgeWorks is offline   Reply With Quote