UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2009, 12:25 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Effect of sunlight on Bakelite?

I've not been a fan of Bakelite until recently, but having restored a Bush AC91 and using Greygate Paste Polishing No 5, followed by beeswax balsam, I have been rewarded with a really nice glossy finish on the brown Bakelite cabinet. This matches our conservatory furniture so well that my wife has actually permitted the set to take up residence... and thus doubling, at a stroke, the number of vintage radios allowed in the house.

The conservatory is in full sun all morning, but in shade from noon onwards. However the room does get quite hot, and I am wondering about the long-term effects of the sun on the Bakelite cabinet. I think it should be relatively immune, but I wonder if anyone else has practical experience of this issue?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 31st May 2009, 12:53 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Effect of sunlight on Bakelite?

A quote from this website;

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/Essays/Plastics.htm

Quote:
Researchers also worked on stable colorings that would not weaken the bakelite. They experimented with organic colorings, as well as the mineral powders used in the U.S. These worked fairly well and were produced in a small range of colors, mainly red, green and ivory/white. Unfortunately these colors did tend to fade in strong sunlight, as Australian phone collectors have found out. After a couple of decades the bakelite surface could decompose slightly, leaving the surface dull as the filler was exposed.
Suggests that some colours do fade in strong sunlight.

The "natural" bakelite colours don't fade so much in my experience. I know of a pre-war Ekco which has spent much of its life in a conservatory and still looks pretty good (I wish it was mine)!

Regards,
Old 31st May 2009, 12:53 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Phil,

Heat is OK, but direct sunlight is very bad as it will fade and dry out Bakelite

David
Old 31st May 2009, 12:57 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Oh, dear, my little Bakelite Pye is in the greenhouse
It is painted, however.
Will it survive?
Alan
Old 31st May 2009, 3:30 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I expect it will just ripen Alan..John.
Old 31st May 2009, 4:05 pm   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

Any radio cabinet, wood or Bakelite, will fade if left for longish periods in full sun, regardless of original colour. Painted Bakelite will - as long as the paint film is intact - be protected beneath the paint. I would never leave a Bakelite cased set in sunlight for more than short periods. It isn't simply the colour fading as it permanently damages the surface too. Ultra-violet is very destructive. Look what it does to humans!
-Tony
Old 31st May 2009, 4:39 pm   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
Ultra-violet is very destructive. Look what it does to humans!
-Tony
And from what I have read there is quite a bit of similarity with the UV effect on Humans as the dark pigment in Bakelite is Ox blood!
Closed Thread