UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2007, 4:32 pm   #1
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Wet Radios - What to do?

I thought this might be a good idea at the moment, so here goes.

All sets - For goodness sake don't plug them in! If it's a Battery Set, remove the batteries first!! Get a manual for the set if possible.

Valve sets - Remove back and all electronics from case. Take the case apart if need be, and put it somewhere safe to dry. Same with the Glass Dial, being careful not to damage it (or damage it further!). You may need to put the back under something to stop it from curling up while drying out.

Speakers - Leave to dry out thouroughly. Could take days.

Valves - These are waterproof, so they will be OK. The numbers may have gone though, so make a diagram of the set and number where they go. If you can, make paper labels (for now) so you know what goes where.

Transformers and IF/RF cans - Like speakers - leave to dry thouroughly. They may be OK, may not. You may need to rewind/replace mains and o/p transformers if the wire insulation has failed.

Capacitors - Change them!

Variable Caps - Hairdryer them clean, and then shove them in the Dishwasher.

Resistors - Look and see.

Wiring - Replace any that you think needs it. Don't spare the wire, and you must replace the mains wiring.

Let the chassis dry out thouroughy too, but use a brush to make sure it's dry and to remove any debris.

Transistor and PCB Sets - as above, but be sure that the PCB Tracks don't come off. Clean every part thourougly, and the smaller Varicaps need time to dry out thouroghly.

You should eventually have a kit of parts. Rebuild carefully and bring up on a variac.

Anyone got anything more to add here.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 5:10 pm   #2
Mersey_Swimmer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wet Radios - What to do?

Battery transistor sets will probably be OK after a good dry out. At least flood water is fresh - sea water can destroy printed boards and components in no time. Beleive it or not, should I have a marine set in for service where the innards have been exposed to salt water, I actually wash it using the water-based Electrolube Safewash 2000 and warm tap water, then allow to dry fully before seeing if I can rescue it.

Not recommended for a vintage valve set though

Pete
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 6:10 pm   #3
Mersey_Swimmer
Retired Dormant Member

Forgot to mention. Bear in mind that floodwater can be contaminated with sewage, so wash hands after handling soiled sets.

The best way to disinfect? When the sun eventually comes out, just place items in full sunlight as the UV radiation kills sewage pathogens. Will also help the drying process.

Tuesday looks to be the best (possibly the only) "drying day" this coming week.

Pete
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 12:43 am   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
sea water can destroy printed boards and components in no time.
Pete is right. A friend once asked to look at ghetto blaster type radio that one of his kids had been dropped into a rock pool( don't ask..........long story) and by the time I got it- a week later it was too late. Some parts were actually chorrode away, most of the cassette mechanism seized solid, and a good deal of sand in places it had no business to be. Had he let me know at once I would have advised him to remove the back and batteries and flush out with fresh water then leave alone and not energise for at least two weeks. Even then there would be no guarantee it would work even after that. I had to junk the carcase as it wasn't even suitable for spares.

Following on in the same vein, I once bought a restored white DAC90A at a boot sale which had survived a house fire, but been soaked by the fire brigade. The tuning scale has had it , but a fan heater directed into the back for about 48 hours dried out most bits, and it does actually work. It's on the "pile".
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 8:49 pm   #5
engineer
Retired Dormant Member

Airing cuboard might help i once left a digital camera out overnight in the rain and it ok 3 days later.
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 9:38 pm   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I've noticed over the years that even freshwater damage from either plumbing or roof leaks can cause a lot of corrosive damage. I looked at someones old Bush TR130 which had got soaked when they had a burst pipe in the loft. I was totally surprised at the amount of corrosion I found almost like the set had been attacked by sea water. It makes you wonder what comes out of the taps!

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 3rd Aug 2007 at 9:47 pm.
Old 4th Aug 2007, 1:26 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
It makes you wonder what comes out of the taps!
Probably nothing very harmful and corrosive, other than.........Oxygen.
Old 4th Aug 2007, 2:43 pm   #8
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

If water has come through a ceiling, it will have picked up corrosive salts from plaster. Plastering tools rust up badly if you don't clean them well.

Clean rainwater from a butt is good for rinsing things off.

Pete.
Closed Thread