UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2017, 9:37 pm   #21
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Cossor Melody Maker 494 A.C. Valve radio

Quote:
Yes I used the original corded flex and plug (13 amp fuse), after checking, but yes I am going to replace the flex and earth the unit as David G4EBT has in his cossor, where can I get a cable restraint?

Make sure the flex had a grommet to protect it from the bend at the chassis. A grommet with a tail can be obtained to restrict the curvature.
To restrain the flex, I have used a wooden dowel and a clove hitch, this is kind to the flex since the knot can be made without twisting the flex.

As an alternative, get your niece to make two pieces of oak screwed together with a dint for the flex. This works well but can crush the insulation.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 10:14 pm   #22
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

It used to be OK to thread the cable through a smooth protected hole and tie a knot in it inside.
Not anymore.
The hole needs a grommet to protect the cable and a mechanical clamp to hold it tightly.
Use a "p" clip bolted to the chassis inside to tightly hold the cable, a tight cable tie on the cable as well next to the P clip helps. You should be able to load the cable with all the weight of a portable set, and drag a non portable across a flat surface without the cable pulling out.
You can buy plastic snap in reliefs but they need an odd shaped hole to fit properly, like a double D. Search for "round cable strain relief bush grommets" on eBay.
Electrical cable glands are a bit big and overkill.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 14th Jul 2017 at 10:25 pm. Reason: add
Old 17th Jul 2017, 6:17 pm   #23
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Have replaced all the "waxies" capacitors now C1, C10, C11, C16, C17, C18, C20 but when I switch the set on through my lamp limiter all I get is a faint hum through the speaker, the tuner dial bulb lights as well, there is nothing on the SW, MW, LW channels at all no click, hiss or anything.
the big can stays cold is that normal?......what would you suggest to try next what can I check for?
Like I said I'm a novice and it's thanks to you guys on the forum to give me the confidence to try and tackle a valve radio repair and I am enjoying the progress so far.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_140127.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	146336   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_140212.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	146337   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_140217.jpg
Views:	126