UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2012, 7:54 pm   #61
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Solihull TV Junk-Swap - NEW DATE Saturday 14th July 2012

I hope you all have a great day tomorrow, despite the rain. Remember to take something to cover the TVs for their journeys to/from your cars.

I'd love to be there but there is an event here that I'm attending and involved with this weekend. I'll certainly look out for the next one, as the last one I went to was really good.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Jul 2012, 10:41 pm   #62
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for a fantastic day Mikey! Should have arrived on a push bike as I managed to adopt a Pam firescreen as Petertheorgan has done with a GEC BT1156.
Great to meet you all and enjoy a bit of fun with all Mike's vintage colour tv's. Seems like only yesterday. Arrived back at 10.30pm. Thanks again Mike.
Regards, John.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 9:29 am   #63
Colourstar
Octode

A brilliant day and once again many thanks to Mike for his excellent hospitality and extreme generosity!

Great to spend time with all the regulars, John W, Lee, Tim, Alan etc plus Hamid and Robert. Some interesting 'patients' on the dining room table included the resurrection of Gary Platten's impressive Philips K70 plus a highly successful bit of tube boosting for my tired Philips 300 series b&w set, tempered with a 'dead parrot' verdict on the clapped tube in a 24" Invicta. The hours flew by helped by copious amounts of tea and cake plus a decent pint at the Drum & Monkey.

Plenty of vintage programme material throughout the day although I can't remember laughing at anything as funny the egg-boiling sequence in the spoof science show 'Look Around You' for a long long time!

Steve J
Old 15th Jul 2012, 12:34 pm   #64
bobbyball
Octode

Got home at 11.36(pm!) having spent a famtsatic day amongst fellow "addicts"...
I echo everybody's heartfelt thanks to Mikey for his hospitality and to all for a good day out. Lokking forward to next year and perhaps I might have got at my own two K70's by then to see if they can be "resurrected"... Thanks also to John for the fountain of knowledge on Philips sets!

All the Best to all

Robert
Old 15th Jul 2012, 3:06 pm   #65
System A
Pentode

Just to repeat what John, Steve & Robert have already said. What a great day we all had. Thanks Mike for your kindness and warm welcome and for the tvs you kindly passed on to me. I'm looking forward to tackling the k70.

I could listen to John"s tales of his time in the trade all day.
What a great fellowship we all share. I look forward to the next one!
Regards.

Gary .
Old 15th Jul 2012, 4:12 pm   #66
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I hope you all have a great day tomorrow, despite the rain. Remember to take something to cover the TVs for their journeys to/from your cars.

I'd love to be there but there is an event here that I'm attending and involved with this weekend. I'll certainly look out for the next one, as the last one I went to was really good.
Thanks Paul.

It all worked out extremely well and it was fantastic to see my pals. I hope you can make it next year Paul.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 4:14 pm   #67
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Thanks for a fantastic day Mikey! Should have arrived on a push bike as I managed to adopt a Pam firescreen as Petertheorgan has done with a GEC BT1156.
Great to meet you all and enjoy a bit of fun with all Mike's vintage colour tv's. Seems like only yesterday. Arrived back at 10.30pm. Thanks again Mike.
Regards, John.
Thanks John - I'm glad you had a good day - I had an excellent time too. And thank you for all your excellent stories - They had a lot of people enthralled. I thought they were really boring though. (Joke.)

Thanks again John.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 4:19 pm   #68
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
A brilliant day and once again many thanks to Mike for his excellent hospitality and extreme generosity!
Thanks Steve - Although it really wasn't generosity - I'm sure any one of the people there would have done the same. It's just about finding good homes for things and passing things on to people who will enjoy playing with them.

Quote:
I can't remember laughing at anything as funny the egg-boiling sequence in the spoof science show 'Look Around You' for a long long time!
That scene (in fact that whole episode) is extremely funny and very well done.

Thanks Steve for coming - it was excellent to see you.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 4:21 pm   #69
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
Got home at 11.36(pm!) having spent a famtsatic day amongst fellow "addicts"...
I echo everybody's heartfelt thanks to Mikey for his hospitality and to all for a good day out. Lokking forward to next year and perhaps I might have got at my own two K70's by then to see if they can be "resurrected"... Thanks also to John for the fountain of knowledge on Philips sets!

All the Best to all

Robert
Thanks Robert too - I did have a fantastic time seeing all my pals. It really would be nothing though without all the people in our "TV Family" to natter with and swap stories and junk with.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
PS. I'm glad you found a good home for your monster 9600 console.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 4:25 pm   #70
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by System A View Post
Just to repeat what John, Steve & Robert have already said. What a great day we all had. Thanks Mike for your kindness and warm welcome and for the tvs you kindly passed on to me. I'm looking forward to tackling the k70.

I could listen to John"s tales of his time in the trade all day.
What a great fellowship we all share. I look forward to the next one!
Regards.

Gary .
Hi Gary.

It was great to see you and Stan and I'm glad you had a good time. You had a really long journey too. I'm glad you managed to fill up David's van with all that old junk. It was a shame David couldn't come too, but hopefully next year he'll be all sorted out and will be able to come down and amaze us all with his knowledge of valves, TVs, Trains, Austin-Rover cars and North Korean politics.

Thanks Gary.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 4:28 pm   #71
Mikey405
Octode

And just to put up a reply of my own - Many thanks to everyone who turned up and made it such an excellent day. I always get a huge amount out of it (a huge amount of food too) but even the food got shared out and people went home with everyone elses cakes, buns, biscuits, coke and what have you. Thank you all again for an excellent day, and may we have many more of them.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 15th Jul 2012, 6:37 pm   #72
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Many thanks to Mike and to all forum members who congregated at Solihull yesterday, one of the very few highlights of the year. The Philips K70 was a great surprise, only needing a PL508 to get it going after 10 years of inactivity. Pity about the DIY back.

The KB CVC1 which recieved attention at the last meet was still displaying a superb picture and the huge Ekco dual standard colour set was now working. The Baird 25" dual standard set and 19" Thorn 2000 were also highlights.

Roll on the next meet.

ALAN
Old 15th Jul 2012, 8:21 pm   #73
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Had a great day yesterday meeting and talking with everyone. It was a joy to see the CVC1 still working so well and a step back in time seeing a Philips 300 and Pye s/s 625 mono tv again. Again many thanks Mike it was a really enjoyable day.
Old 16th Jul 2012, 12:31 am   #74
petertheorgan
Hexode

HI Mike

Can I just add my thanks too for a fabulous day ,,,,,,,its just a race now with john HKS to get my new toy working !

Peter
Old 16th Jul 2012, 9:52 am   #75
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertheorgan View Post
HI Mike

Can I just add my thanks too for a fabulous day ,,,,,,,its just a race now with john HKS to get my new toy working !

Peter
Yes, keep us all posted on those Peter. The GEC was very cute indeed. I'm sure John's already got the Pam on the bench!

Steve
Old 16th Jul 2012, 12:47 pm   #76
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Another excellent meetup (as ever), though Mikey's latest mechanical toy didn't seem to get the attention it deserved.

TTFN,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	televisor1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	68645   Click image for larger version

Name:	televisor2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	68646   Click image for larger version

Name:	devilsWork.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	68647  
Old 16th Jul 2012, 4:17 pm   #77
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Great interest was shown in the K70. J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K70.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	68650  
Old 16th Jul 2012, 9:03 pm   #78
Tazman1966
Nonode

It sounds as if a good time was had by all. I wish i could have been there but other commitments prevented it this time. I'll clear my diary for the next one
Old 20th Jul 2012, 9:13 pm   #79
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANS ANITAS View Post
Many thanks to Mike and to all forum members who congregated at Solihull yesterday, one of the very few highlights of the year...

...Roll on the next meet.
Thanks Alan. I'm looking forward to the next one too. It's always a good event and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 20th Jul 2012, 9:15 pm   #80
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
Had a great day yesterday meeting and talking with everyone. It was a joy to see the CVC1 still working so well and a step back in time seeing a Philips 300 and Pye s/s 625 mono tv again. Again many thanks Mike it was a really enjoyable day.
Thanks Simon. Ah the old CVC1 did behave itself quite well on the day although it's not been all that reliable in real life.