UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2007, 7:18 pm   #1
spencer999
Retired Dormant Member

Default Thorn Ferguson Caravelle

hello there

I have recently found a radio at my parents house and was looking for some more information on it.

The radio is a furguson Caravelle but has Thorn electricals on the bottom of it.

Can anyone shed any information on its age?
Old 18th Aug 2007, 8:47 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Thorn Ferguson Caravelle

Hello,

If it's a Ferguson, there should be a paper or plastic label (possibly in the battery compartment), which has a four digit number on that will start with a 3. If you can find this, it will made the correct ID easier. I have a "Caravelle" (Ferguson model number 3156), which was made circa 1967.

Mine is a transistor portable, with VHF, Long, Medium and Short wavebands, provision for connecting a car aerial, wooden end panels and a handle with a wooden section. All-in-all, a rather nice looking set. It works quite well too.

I have the Ferguson range brochure which contains the Caravelle radio - 26 Guineas plus 7/6d Purchase Tax! Ferguson later offered a "Caravelle II", model 3169 - looks like the differences were mainly cosmetic.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 18th Aug 2007, 9:48 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thorn (aka BRC) owned the Ferguson brand and the Ultra brand, and also made sets under licence for Marconiphone, HMV and (I think) Philco. All used the same basic innards with different cabinets and minor electrical differences (presence or absence of tone controls and earphone sockets etc). Most were reasonably well made and were generally reliable.

The attached picture is from the Ferguson 3156 service data (Trader sheet 1873). Does this look like yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3156.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	11612  

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Aug 2007, 8:47 am   #4
spencer999
Retired Dormant Member

hello there.

Thanks for the the info guys. Yes it does look like the picture posted and i found the modle number in the battery compartment. it is 3156 with a serial number of 36107.
Old 19th Aug 2007, 8:02 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The Trader sheet is dated September 1968 so it is probably a 1968 model or maybe a 1967 model. Some Trader sheets give the month/year the model was released and the original price, but this one doesn't.

What else do you need to know now?

If you want service data, try the link at the top right corner where you can buy a copy of the Trader sheet by email for £1.99.

Value - probably not much, a tenner on a good day if it is in good condition and complete. Though if someone wants the specific model you could get a bit more. If it's a set you remember your parents using it'll probably be worth to you for sentimental reasons.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th Aug 2007, 11:41 am   #6
spencer999
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the info on that. I found out that it had only just recently been picked up off a carboot sale for a pound by my mum. It's in full working order and I've cleaned it up and it looks great. In all honesty I don't think I'll be selling it as I've grown attached to it. but thanks for the price evaluation anyway! Looks and sounds too good to sell.

Spencer James
Closed Thread