UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2019, 9:22 am   #21
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Re: The BBC Apollo coverage tapes

Thanks for all the replies, so it seems like what I saw on TV years ago is gone forever. Still I don't think they had an archive dept back then and they never saw the historical importance even if some of the presenters were annoying they would now form part of the event in time. Well at least I still have some of my 1/4 inch audio tapes I made from the TV in those days and the other stuff I collected, I just hope the magnetic qualities have not vanished! That's yet another project for me to repair my reel to reel !!!.
I look forward to seeing the 70mm footage that should be something else.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:40 pm   #22
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Did anybody else here listen on VoA?
I watched the Apollo 13 splashdown on TV, with the radio tuned to VOA for the audio.

The suspense, as everyone waited to find out if they had survived re-entry, followed by a shaky picture of the little capsule descending on its three parachutes at about the same time as communications were resumed, is something I have never forgotten.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:58 pm   #23
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Everyone knew about the possibility that the heat shield on Apollo13 could be damaged and there could be bad outcome, so the return was dramatic. With the landing of Apollo 11, the public really didn't know the full drama going on during the descent.

Firstly, the Lunar Module was actually travelling faster than they had measured and Armstrong was seeing his landmarks pass beneath too early. Then the guidance computer crashed 3 times due to being overloaded with radar data, apparently due a to mode-setting switch being set incorrectly. The net result that Armstrong had to ditch the computer, land it under manual guidance, flying it long to avoid a boulder field and ending up with his propellant reserves almost gone. All the voices remain totally calm and if you listen to the tape it's only the calls of "1201 Alarm" (i.e. the computer just crashed) that give the game away. I recall none of this when it was actually happening! Of course, on the following Apollo 12 mission, they landed pretty much on the head of a pin, in easy walking distance to go chop bits off the old Surveyor spacecraft.

B
Old 26th Feb 2019, 9:59 am   #24
Malcolm T
Hexode

And the kind of situation that would have left any normal folk cringing in the corner no doubt. If it had not been Armstrong at the helm would it have been a different outcome, who knows.

It's too bad they stopped going there, just think where we could be now?
Old 26th Feb 2019, 5:02 pm   #25

I was 9 at the time of Apollo 11, dad woke me up and I sat watching the telly in the early hours. I will never forget it, amazing!

Old 26th Feb 2019, 6:29 pm   #26
Malcolm T
Hexode

And did you dad make you dripping on toast with a cuppa ? LOL , i used to love that stuff but couldnt eat it now !!!.
Well at least you witnessed history.
I wonder who,s going to set up shop on the moon next that should be very interesting.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 6:37 pm   #27
Restoration73
Nonode

I seem to remember a film about a man and his dog landing on the moon, with a
payload of cream crackers.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 6:53 pm   #28

Quote:
And did you dad make you dripping on toast with a cuppa
No, we where all too excited, after the moon walk dad did supply the whole family a glass (each, of differing sizes) of his home made wine. There has been a few shown on telly recently about the landings and the Apollo 8 curium lunar flight. Quite a lot of NASA footage there.

Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:47 pm   #29
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
I watched the Apollo 13 splashdown on TV, with the radio tuned to VOA for the audio.

The suspense, as everyone waited to find out if they had survived re-entry, followed by a shaky picture of the little capsule descending on its three parachutes at about the same time as communications were resumed, is something I have never forgotten.
Neither have I - for once in a Hollywood production, the climactic point of the Ron Howard film is not overblown.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 9:52 pm   #30
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

In terms of the way humans have always explored their surroundings, I wonder if Apollo was a "tipping" point? Particularly in space, after Apollo, computers will be doing so much of the work. Apollo carried one tiny computer but whatever goes to Mars will carry at least 3 big ones, probably learning from commercial airliners? I'm probably showing my age, but I find it hard to believe that people landing on Mars any time in the future will rival the drama (the feeling that they are taking one hell of a risk) as much as Apollo 11.

I recently watched a documentary about the first submersible robot going to the bottom of the Marianas Trench; ~11,000m deep, pressure ~1,100 atmospheres. It actually happened a few years ago but cannot have received much attention.
They very quickly found creatures wondering around. People descending down there would certainly get my respect!

B
Old 26th Feb 2019, 10:07 pm   #31
Sideband
Dekatron

Why not go to the horses mouth so to speak.....

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/index.html

I doubt they've saved all of it but they have some archive recordings
Old 26th Feb 2019, 10:35 pm   #32
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I recently watched a documentary about the first submersible robot going to the bottom of the Marianas Trench; ~11,000m deep, pressure ~1,100 atmospheres. It actually happened a few years ago but cannot have received much attention.
They very quickly found creatures wondering around. People descending down there would certainly get my respect!
I remember this from 59 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste

Lawrence.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 11:27 pm   #33
McMurdo
Dekatron

thanks for the link, took me 3 evenings to watch it!
Old 27th Feb 2019, 12:05 am   #34
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I was an avid follower BBC Apollo coverage, remember "Also Sprach Zarathustra" a bit of an obvious choice, but worked well nevertheless.

Burke and Moore Michelmore and their guests taught me much of the NASA jargon and acronyms and made me the playground expert, but there were a few things I picked up on that were not explained, one such thing I first heard, I think on Apollo 8, was the expression "All Balls".

I kind of guessed it was the initial zero display on the DISKEY, I recently found the definitive answer, and I was at least in the right ball-park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jCyE0me41Y&t=10s
Old 27th Feb 2019, 12:25 am   #35
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
I remember this from 59 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste

Lawrence.
That descent was referred to in the recent documentary, including reference to the window which cracked, but they seemed to suggest that the Trieste had not gone to the very deepest point of the trench. That exact point was probably not known at the time. The recent mission succeeded in bringing biological and rock samples back the surface. The craft was entirely battery powered and controlled via a fibre optic line.

Re music for Apollo 11 TV coverage, didn't one channel also use "Fanfare for the Common Man" some of the time, long before Emerson, Lake and Palmer got to it.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 27th Feb 2019 at 12:31 am.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 1:35 am   #36
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Re music for Apollo 11 TV coverage, didn't one channel also use "Fanfare for the Common Man" some of the time, long before Emerson, Lake and Palmer got to it.
I think ITV used it at some point, but for their Apollo 11 coverage they used something especially written called something like "Footprints on the Moon"

<Googles>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4AdSlrG1-A
Old 27th Feb 2019, 9:49 am   #37
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm T View Post
And the kind of situation that would have left any normal folk cringing in the corner no doubt. If it had not been Armstrong at the helm would it have been a different outcome, who knows.

It's too bad they stopped going there, just think where we could be now?
What with Mars found to be a right dump I think it was just a case of "been there done that" with regards to the public.and for NASA putting astronauts in space for a week or so was enough..let alone considering several months in space which must be an agoraphobic's and claustrophobic's worst nightmare.
With the nearest star ( let alone a planet) being 4 light years away we are going nowhere soon ...if ever?
Old 27th Feb 2019, 10:24 am   #38
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Until someone develops the Warp Drive...
Old 27th Feb 2019, 7:25 pm   #39
Malcolm T
Hexode

Don't think I would want to spend 4 months in space!

Footprints on the moon, I remember that, I dont think for Apollo 11, I think it was later.

I always liked that piano theme, I never thought I would hear that again, thanks for the link real a music score with real instruments, the album cover is weird though? All this is making me feel old now.

Do you reckon anyone is going to show the 70mm found reels in IMAX cinema complete with the low frequency rumble of the take off of the Saturn V,? I've only been to one IMAX and I thought it was pretty good.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 10:32 pm   #40
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The Apollo 11 documentary referred to above (using the newly recovered 70mm film) is released in the USA this Friday (8th March), but finding that out, I'm now finding Google hits suggesting it was out in the UK in Imax on 1st March

https://www.apollo11movie.com/

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 6th Mar 2019 at 10:38 pm.
Closed Thread