UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2022, 10:29 am   #1
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Silent film + organ concert with optional insider tour of vintage electrics

We're putting on a show at Southampton Guildhall on Tuesday Nov 15th. Presented as part of Southampton Film Week, the first half is a musical concert on the Guildhall's magnificent 51-rank Compton Organ, the second is Buster Keaton's silent film 'Sherlock Jr.' of 1924 with organ accompaniment.

Details are here:
https://southamptonfilmweek.com/even...ton-pipe-organ

Our organist for the evening is none other than Richard Hills, a pre-eminent musician whose skill and artistry covers every conceivable genre of music that can be played on the organ. Of all organists, he is now perhaps the most closely in-touch and in-tune with Guildhall instrument and able to exploit its vast tonal resources to their ultimate creative effect.

Even if you know nothing about organs, you will enjoy the performance. If you are interested in how they work and / or you like electromechanical 'apparatus', there is a chance of a peek behind the scenes, subject to availability and fitness to climb four flights of backstage stairs.

Built in 1937, the big Compton survives completely unmodified, unmodernised, with all its original electrics 100% intact. Some 7,000 electromagnets, controlled by 50,000 pairs of contacts, connected together with over 100 miles of cotton-covered wire, bring 3500 pipes and other effects under the control of one performer. In the dedicated relay room you will find racks of electromechanical flip flops, 2 walls of multiplier-adders, 5kbits of non-volatile memory and the distinctive Melotone electrostatic tone generator. Of course there are some dazzling arrays of pipes too, including real 32-foot monsters.

It has been my pleasure and privilege for many years to be charged with maintaining the electrics, as part of the organ's support team masterminded by my good friend and colleague Peter Hammond. With my health now deteriorating, this will be one of my last opportunities to work on it, hear it and show off my particular facet of it.

Peter, Lyndon, Nigel and others including myself will all be there to welcome you and talk about the organ. But come for the movie and the music!
Old 3rd Nov 2022, 4:28 pm   #2
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Re: Silent film + organ concert with optional insider tour of vintage electrics

This sounds absolutely amazing, and I'd love to come. Being in Edinburgh is a bit challenging, but I will investigate possible options.

I assume the film will be projected digitally (and not, say, using 35mm film)?
Old 3rd Nov 2022, 8:07 pm   #3
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Silent film + organ concert with optional insider tour of vintage electrics

Yes, the projection is from a Blu-Ray. We would prefer to run real film and have done in the past, e.g. at Catford Broadway, but there is no longer any projector installation at Southampton and it's impractical to put one in for one evening.
Old 4th Nov 2022, 12:18 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

So, Mr Hammond is in charge of a Compton pipe organ?
Old 4th Nov 2022, 2:16 am   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

No relation to Laurens Hammond, however Peter is a professional musician too and although technically he is pianist, he owns and plays Hammond organs rather well.

The team looks after a number of Comptons and a couple of Wurlitzers too. Our interest is primarily in the upkeep of original, unadulterated installations of 20th century instruments, e.g. those at the Hammersmith Apollo, Regent Street Cinema, New Gallery and Lewisham Town Hall.

Southampton towers over all of those by its sheer scope and scale. One has the impression that the Council officers, in the midst of commissioning the substantial Civic Centre building complex (of which the Guildhall is the East Wing), convened Dr. Thalben-Ball and the Compton directors and instructed them to build the most extensive, impressive, tasteful and above all musically-capable instrument regardless of cost. The result is a testimony to the ingenuity and design skills of the Compton team.

While it has but one third of the number of pipes of the biggest organs in the land, its versatility and range of artistic expression is unrivalled. Very often, stretching tonal resources in this way leads to an exciting crowd-pleaser that lacks musical integrity, an organic jack-of-all-trades. But Compton were masters in the design and voicing of extended and unified orchestral instruments. The result is a cohesive elaboration of all the things an organ can be, not a compromise between them nor an arbitrary catalogue of them.

An example of the no-compromise approach is the use of not one but two 4-manual consoles - one optimised for classical performance and one for entertainment and light music - controlling the same pipes. They behave like different operating systems running on the same hardware, offering the user different experiences of the machinery within.

The musical result speaks for itself, but an unavoidable consequence of the comprehensive specification is the teeming electrical complexity required to bring everything together. The playing surfaces alone comprise 552 keys with up to six contacts each, 400 stops of two different types; those of the variety console are internally motorised while those of the grand console are illuminated pushbuttons controlled by logic units five floors above, over 100 pistons, six swell (expression) pedals operating 74 steps of loudness via an assignment matrix of nine 32-pole relays, etc, etc. The main cable of the variety console has around 900 cores, terminating in a 900 pin plug. &c.

Part of its significance today is that it is completely original and in its original location. The intent, the execution and the result are all those of its creators and we hear it as they heard it. Many 20th century organs have been modified, embellished, reworked and relocated according to the whims of their owners over the years. But this is the beating heart of the John Compton Organ Co, Compton himself, J.I. Taylor and their own craftsmen, voicers and finishers. In recognition, it has been awarded a grade-one historic organ certificate, a rare accolade for something so 'modern.'

And let us not forget its electronic section, the Melotone, making the sounds that inventor Leslie Bourne created 87 years ago that must have seemed so magical to an audience who had never heard synthetic sound before.

If you should find my descriptions adulatory and superlative, I say come and hear it for yourself, in the capable hands of Mr. Hills.
Old 9th Nov 2022, 4:57 pm   #6
wireman
Heptode

A long time ago I went to a (symphonic?) organ concert at Boston University for a performance of a silent film version of Ben Hur.
The organist did a great job of keeping to time as the film cut back to the drumming scenes with the Galley slave rowers.
Old 9th Nov 2022, 5:26 pm   #7
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Live organ music is incredible, as is Richard Hills
Old 10th Nov 2022, 11:48 am   #8
Stuart R
Heptode

This does sound like an evening not to be missed, but Southampton's a long way south.

A chance of seeing the 'works' would make the journey worthwhile. Would this be before or after the performance? I'd have to get to the station sharpish after the show if I'm to get home before dawn!

SR
Old 10th Nov 2022, 12:03 pm   #9
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I'm not 100% sure Stuart. If you can get there well before the performance it should be possible to get you in. We often do a tour afterwards but how it all works out depends on the venue staff and how much pressure they put on guys to vacate the building.

A new factor is that my health has been up and down this week, I am having to miss today's maintenance visit because I'm not well enough. I really hope to be fit enough to go on Tuesday, it's a bit worrying. Update over the weekend.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 12:52 pm   #10
raditechman
Heptode

I believe the Compton organ at the Odeon Leicester also has a Melotone

John
Old 10th Nov 2022, 1:39 pm   #11
wd40addict
Octode

St Mary's in Hitchin ran 'Safety Last' with live organ accompaniment last February. I believe a silent film with live accompaniment is something they try and do annually as a church fund raiser, but Covid has obviously got in the way.

Love the dual boot organ idea!
Old 10th Nov 2022, 2:08 pm   #12
raditechman
Heptode

I forgot to add Square after Leicester- Odeon Leicester Square organ plus Melotone.

The Musical Museum in Brentford has a Wurlitzer organ (from Regal cinema Kingston) and occasionally have organ with film events, although like almost all cinema projection today there will not be any "film" in use!

John
Old 10th Nov 2022, 2:38 pm   #13
Stuart R
Heptode

The St Mary's film (DVD) shows are an excellent - although rather chilly night out. I've been to three, they are always early in the year and sell out fast. Donald MacKenzie always does a superb job.

Fortunately that Church organ also has two consoles and when one failed a few years ago, he vanished behind the screen and continued the performance out of sight.

SR
Old 10th Nov 2022, 3:00 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
A new factor is that my health has been up and down this week, I am having to miss today's maintenance visit because I'm not well enough. I really hope to be fit enough to go on Tuesday, it's a bit worrying. Update over the weekend.
I wish you well, Lucien
Old 10th Nov 2022, 6:45 pm   #15
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I believe the Compton organ at the Odeon Leicester also has a Melotone
It does, but at the moment it's silent because the amplifier is on my bench. Just waiting for an opportunity to re-fit it, as the organ has been out of use pending repairs to the console lift.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 9:03 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

spooky - I've just had a Richard Hills youtube channel binge, I recommend his tour of the Albert Hall Willis
Old 10th Nov 2022, 10:44 pm   #17
Richard_FM
Octode

Stockport Plaza has a Compton Organ, as it was built in 1932 there wouldn't have been that many silent films to play along with, but I imagine it was put to good use for live shows & interludes.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 10:47 pm   #18
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

This shows how damn good Richard Hills is https://youtu.be/AWClq1Pr7hM
Old 10th Nov 2022, 11:33 pm   #19
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Yes that Tiger Rag clip is a hoot isn't it. A send-up of all the crackpot playing styles that have been popular of late, but with actual music coming out as a bonus. Of course he can play 'properly' too.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 11:36 pm   #20
Radio Wrangler

For those further to the North, there is a large Compton at the Summerlee Museum, Coatbridge. It too has two consoles, parked side by side for easy comparison. I had a tour through the loft of it some years ago. It's not in a proper hall but it's still rather impressive. I don't believe it has a mellotone. Compared to classical organs, the pressure of wind these things run is surprisingly greater.

David