UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2021, 11:06 am   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default How to consolidate flaking paint?

I have run into this again and still do not have a solution.

So does anyone have a method for stabilising paint that is cracking and flaking off something? I have often run into this problem with meter scales, where the paint clearly doesn't like to stick to the scale material.

I am asking about ways to avoid repainting or changing it completely, but how to conserve the original paint e.g. where the damaged area is not so bad - but will get worse in time.
Old 18th Nov 2021, 11:19 am   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: How to consolidate flaking paint?

I missed the over using an aerosol can off clear lacquer / vanish , just several light coats to stick it all together
Old 18th Nov 2021, 8:48 pm   #3
stitch1
Heptode

On a recent repair programme they were using something designed to do this, not sure if this would work on dials.

https://www.toolstation.com/zinsser-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

John
Old 19th Nov 2021, 3:17 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

I recall that-
-The thicker the paint flakes are the easier it is.
-If the flakes are concave or convex from heat saturation it's almost impossible.
-I used clear car paint lacquer in one case, sprayed into the cap then dabbed on. That was 5 years ago and it hasn't yellowed yet. I used it quite wet to allow it to wick under the flakes if possible. Prone to drying rather more quickly than we would like.
Dave
Closed Thread