UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2018, 7:11 pm   #41
Ontopoftheworld
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: IBM PS/2 seems to have got stuck!

I am UP and RUNNING! The 27F4166 arrived this morning. It's used but in good condition. It's been running fine for about 4 hours now. So glad my PS/2 is back to life!!!!! It's probably better than ever now because it's had a good clean in the process of repairing it.

Thanks to everyone's help on the forum. It really helps to have everyone's suggestions when you're looking for a solution. Keeping old computers running can be a worrying hobby at times, but it's great when things go right.
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 8:31 pm   #42
Dual Standard
Hexode

Magic!
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 8:36 pm   #43
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Great result! And what a relief that it wasn't a hard disc head crash.

I suspect that the PSU was on its way out and the move was either conincidence or hastened a failure which was about to happen anyway.
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 8:51 pm   #44
IanBland
Hexode

Great news, glad to have been part of your solution!
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 9:29 am   #45
G4_Pete
Hexode

I installed two IBM PS/2's in 1989 ( Floppy version no HD) in an air conditioned dust free environment on an uninterruptible supply. They ran a compiled floppy booted compiled basic program displaying data off off the comm port. We did get through quite a few VDU,s though. Apart from very short outages of a few minutes every few years they ran continuously until this year.

So these things must have been well made with quality components. But I do remember they were not cheap the keyboards alone were around an extra £100 at install time .
Pete
Old 26th Sep 2018, 7:56 am   #46
ferdi57
Retired Dormant Member

Bonjour

Si c'est le psu donnez moi la référence j'en ais ici un lot de grande quantité si il y en a un je vous le donne.

Good day.

If this is the PSU give me the reference. I have here a large quantity. If I have one I'll give it to you.
Old 16th Oct 2018, 9:53 am   #47
Ontopoftheworld
Retired Dormant Member

That is very kind of you. Merci beaucoup. The PSU I bought is running fine now. It was the 27F4166 version which was the correct one. It cost £50, so not cheap, but it has saved my IBM.
Closed Thread